- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:24 AM

Default Panel planning - part uno

I?m getting ready to plan for a complete panel and interior swap and started a new blog post on my project. Hope you enjoy!

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/20...ning-take-two/

Building - Zenith 750 [11323] CruzerDuty27.5
N67LJ RV9-A [90504] - SOLD
N83LJ Sonex [0864] - SOLD

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
Old 08-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Default Would love your thoughts

As I go through my panel process, I know many of you are also planning or have done a panel replacement in the past. Or anyone who has built their perfect panel. I'd love to receive any tips, tricks and thoughts on what I'm building. There is never enough information! Thanks in advance for sharing.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:56 PM

Looks pretty good, but you may have fallen prey to the common mistake of designing the panel for engine start. When you're starting the engine, you've got all kinds of time, but when you're in the air, you can get busy and want to find the correct switch right now!

The one specific point is the fuel pump. You'll want it for engine start, sure, but you'll probably turn it off after takeoff and back on before landing. If that's how you plan to use it, don't bury it in the middle of the pack.

Another good exercise is to write up all of your checklists and then run them against your panel layout. Ideally, things should flow, so things get operated in a smooth pattern, not jumping back and forth. Boeing jets have really good flow, Gulfstream jets are at the other end of the spectrum.

My RV-8 has a neat feature (I bought the plane, didn't do the panel). The flap and fuel pump switches are adjacent to each other on the left side, with no other switches around. Handy for landing and for after landing.

Enjoy!

Ed
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 PM

Ed,
The flap switch and fuel pump switch is a great idea. I like grouping those together and will make my next revision. Thanks for the advice on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Looks pretty good, but you may have fallen prey to the common mistake of designing the panel for engine start. When you're starting the engine, you've got all kinds of time, but when you're in the air, you can get busy and want to find the correct switch right now!

The one specific point is the fuel pump. You'll want it for engine start, sure, but you'll probably turn it off after takeoff and back on before landing. If that's how you plan to use it, don't bury it in the middle of the pack.

Another good exercise is to write up all of your checklists and then run them against your panel layout. Ideally, things should flow, so things get operated in a smooth pattern, not jumping back and forth. Boeing jets have really good flow, Gulfstream jets are at the other end of the spectrum.

My RV-8 has a neat feature (I bought the plane, didn't do the panel). The flap and fuel pump switches are adjacent to each other on the left side, with no other switches around. Handy for landing and for after landing.

Enjoy!

Ed

Old 08-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Default Itch

Before starting my 10 build I went over and and looked at Vic?s 10 . One impressive feature he pointed out as we were up flying is he has the electric fuel pump switch,flap switch and alternate air knob all right above his throttle quadrant close to where his right hand is, I will have this on my panel. Pete
Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 AM

An RV7 I did for a customer, VFR but provisions for a GTN650 by removing one of the com's.
Some ideas on back up, switch positions etc.., take it or leave it.
I would also recommend you try to avoid extending the bottom of the panel, makes getting in and out more difficult and your longer legged passengers will have leg room issues.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 08-20-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Great thread, I have recently started a wish list for what my ideal panel will look like. Walt, the panel you did for your brother's RV7 is exactly what I want in my 7.

What have most folks realistically budgeted for a panel "Re Do"?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM

I notice a lot of people are still putting the audio panel at the top of the radio stack. If you consider the very few times you touch the audio panel in flight, why put it in the prime real estate location (top and center)?. Move it to the bottom of the stack and get the grossly overpriced IFR navigator up top where it is easier to see in your scan.

It looks like if you move both displays a little to the left you can move both EFIS displays up a little (same reasoning). There might be option to move the knob panels (or make them horizontal) so that you only have the radio stack between the two displays. This make the right display much more functional to the pilot. I use the right display as the engine monitor and ?scratch pad? moving map so I can zoom out for weather down track and such. Even with both EFIS panels biased left, there is not issue flying from the right seat.

On the knob panel, consider moving the switches on the far left to the apron, and perhaps moving the vent to a mount below the apron. The knob panel can then go horizontal below your backup display - easy place for your left hand to get to. You will find the knob panel gets more use than anything else in the panel. If you do that, then perhaps your Autopilot panel can go horizontal under the radio stack.

Last - when you build the panel make sure you design in maintenance. Any modern EFIS panel can be made to be removed from the airplane in 15 minutes or less. It is a lot easier to work stuff on the bench than on your back with your head under the panel.

Carl
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick972 View Post
Great thread, I have recently started a wish list for what my ideal panel will look like. Walt, the panel you did for your brother's RV7 is exactly what I want in my 7.

What have most folks realistically budgeted for a panel "Re Do"?
Here's the one I did for my brother. The AS indicator has since been replaced with the G5. Budget gets a little steep for this one, figure around 50K (15K labor) installed with all the goodies

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 08-20-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:42 AM

Default 49clipper

Walt,
Excuse my ignorance, but that is the screen in the middle. I do not recognize it.