What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Resin Squeegee????

gstone

Well Known Member
I've read a lot about using a squeegee on resin. Have used old key cards and the like and done fair. Have tried the bondo squeegee and seems way too stiff. Of course, if all these curves were flat, it would be WAY easier! Is there a tool I have missed in my over stocked under talented shop??

Trying to fill pin holes and produce the resin shell at this point and hoping I missed something....

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Last edited:
Having been squeegeeing quite a lot of resin in the last couple of weeks... I have a couple of the typical fairly stiff plastic type. Mine happen to be yellow but I suppose they are available in other colors. It would be nice if they weren't so rigid, but I've found that I can bend them a bit using thumb pressure for more tightly curved surfaces (lower cowl, for example) and get decent results. After a few applications of resin on upper/lower cowl, my thumb was sore. For the last coat, I tried Dan Horton's nappy roller method. That worked as advertised, giving an "orange peel" surface that made a nice guide layer for sanding purposes.

I usually just use the cheap auto body filler squeegees from the car parts store. But I've also used the ends of rubber kitchen spatulas from the dollar store.

Thanks, Bob K.

I used my old eaa membership card and some old credit cards did better job than the yellow squeegees. I went to lowes and got some 4inch foam paint rollers for cabinets used them after I squeeged seemed to work pretty good.

I've read a lot about using a squeegee on resin. Have used old key cards and the like and done fair. Have tried the bondo squeegee and seems way to stiff. Of course, if all these curves were flat, it would be WAY easier! Is there a tool I have missed in my over stocked under talented shop?

I used laminated playing cards. You get 52 plus two extra in a box. I got mine as a door prize at a local Hooter's restaurant. After use I just stuck them to the hanger wall and have enjoyed the artwork for the last 8 years with no sign of coming loose from the wall.
Seriously, playing cards work great as you can flex them is much as you need and that adjusts their rigidity.

eaa card

I used my old eaa membership card and some old credit cards did better job than the yellow squeegees. I went to lowes and got some 4inch foam paint rollers for cabinets used them after I squeeged seemed to work pretty good.

When I read you used your old eaa card I laughed out loud. Not normally a problem except I was in church!

Last edited:
You want a good quality rubber squeegee - any good composite supply house should have them.

On-line, it's part number 1108 here...

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/2948/Supplies_Tools_Rollers_Squeegees

2948_997_popup.jpg

Note that it has a tapered working edge unlike the square edge of the previously referenced autobody paint squeegee.

Last edited:
I used laminated playing cards. You get 52 plus two extra in a box. I got mine as a door prize at a local Hooter's restaurant. After use I just stuck them to the hanger wall and have enjoyed the artwork for the last 8 years with no sign of coming loose from the wall.

Phillip, I owe you a beer.....best laugh I've had today.

Phillips cards

Im glad I didn't see Phillips reply till I got home. Maybe we need a "humor" thread. At least then I would not be cracking up out loud when I should be being reverent!

Yea you know what's not so funny is the credit card I used was maxxed out with airplane parts.

Back