- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:52 PM

Default Building to learn

I donít have a license yet and would say Iím in the category of people slightly more interested in building than just flying. Is it at all practical to build and the learn to fly in my plane? I was learning in a sport cruiser but someone crashed it so that came to an end. Is it possible to get insurance in a situation like Iím proposing? CFI isnít a concern for me. Iíve got one.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:23 PM

Iíd say itís possible, but you have to think about the phase 1 flight period. You obviously wonít be able to fly this off yourself. That person will need to get insurance in your plane, and it will likely take some time to get all the bugs shaken out. Then, as you identified, your insurance will certainly not be cheap. Iíd suggest you check around with insurers to get a handle on that before going too much farther. Couldnít even guess what that rate would be.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:05 AM

I took lessons in my own RV-12 that I bought, second hand. It is doable, but I found being new to aircraft ownership, maintaining it, and learning to fly in it to be quite a full plate.

I would suggest you get your flight certificate first, be it Private Pilot or Sport Pilot, and have that under your belt with some hours logged, before you start building your own RV-12, unless you are exceptionally smart and gifted in all things aviation and mechanical, from child hood, on.

"Time to Spare, go by Air."
Old 08-29-2021, 12:00 PM

I built first, took lessons but never completed because of life events. I finished my plane, got it certified, and then 2 friends did the phase 1 for me. Without someone who will do that, it would be tricky once you were finished building. If you have your license when done, then you can at least ride with a qualified pilot.

Remember, just because you get your ticket does not mean you are qualified to do test flights.
Flying N376E
Old 08-30-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Remember, just because you get your ticket does not mean you are qualified to do test flights.
I certainly understand this statement, but I'd like to flip it around: What does make someone qualified to do the required testing? Honest question, as I've read many warnings about testing but nothing on what makes someone qualified.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:19 PM

Exclamation Phase 1 testing

Iíve done the phase 1 testing for many aircraft. The most perfect looking planes still have issues to iron out during phase 1. I cannot fathom a low time limited experienced pilot handling some of the issues Iíve encountered.

With the introduction of modern EFIS systems along with the various settings and warnings, until they are properly configured and adjusted each flight is truly test flying.

Autopilots can be dangerous at first. The first use of a high end autopilot once gave me a near concussion from hitting the ceiling of the cabin.

Many builders overly complicate their planes which adds levels of complexity. The light weight according to plans tend to fly best

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 50+years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR