What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running wires in wings

localizer

Hi all,
1. If I run wires in the wings through snap bushings, i.e. without any conduit, what is a good thing to keep them from moving laterally?

2. I see people use PEX tubing for conduit. Don't know if there is some special PEX, but what I have seen at Home Depot has minimum operating temperature of 32F. Does anyone know what happens to them when temperature drops lower? Do they crack?

3. I have found clear vinyl tubing. It is much lighter than PEX, yet is much heavier than Vans' conduit. Still, does anyone have any experience with using vinyl tubes in wings?

Thanks!

With regard to PEX, it is pretty stable well below freezing - in fact resists cracking when frozen with water inside.

To keep wires from moving, perhaps some RTV.

Greg

Hi all,
1. If I run wires in the wings through snap bushings, i.e. without any conduit, what is a good thing to keep them from moving laterally?

Secure the wire bundle to structure using an adel clamp near the wing root. Secure it also at the outboard end near every place where a wire terminates, which also serves to strain-relief the connectors / terminals. Between these secured points, the wire bundle can then simply pass through the snap bushings.

I had to run pitot and AOA tubing thru a completed wing. I used some of the foam used for protecting pipes from freezing put thru some lightening holes about 1 1/2 in diameter with the tubing in the middle. Well protected and supported that way.

Yuri---that 32* is the low working temp of the PVC with fluid and under some pressure (maybe water?) Not as use as a conduit.
Tom

I used Avery 20150 nylon screw mounting base for tie-raps in each wing bay where there is an inspection panel (3 in the -9A). The wiring goes through the snap bushings in the ribs, then use a tie-rap to secure the bundle at each inspection panel. The mounting bases can be screwed into platenuts or pop riveted to the the wing spar web.
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=21250

Back