What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick-adjust rudder pedal mod (-7/7A)

Moondog

Well Known Member
. . . allows 3-position pedal adjustment without removing any bolts. I?m requesting feedback and advice from VAF on how to and perhaps whether to proceed with this.

I?ve made a prototype that worked, but it was not very pretty. So I made several drawings with three of them below. This is the L/R assembly.
20kak9h.jpg

There is some extra weight, but that?s partly offset by eliminating the big bolts in Van?s design.

For shorter legs, two equal-size spacers are placed forward of the rudder pedal bearing block to provide the most aft position of the pedals. For longer legs, the spacers are placed aft of the bearing block. The mid-position has one spacer forward and one aft.
28wp1ma.jpg

The spacers in the prototype did not move in any direction once popped into place. But they are easily removed by compressing the spring and lifting the spacer over the retainer (dotted line).

The center section uses most of the same parts, but the bracket is inverted to connect to the F-6118 Center Pedal Brace. Not all detail is shown.
apbrjp.jpg

To avoid fabricating completely different size spacers for the L/R and center assemblies, I would have to make Van?s L/R bearing blocks smaller to match the center bearing block.

This assembly may not be so easy for a retrofit where the F-6118 has been shortened.

I am busy with my day job, so might not be able to immediately respond to questions or comments. Thanks in advance.

..and what about the alignment????

This is funny, just sitting in the plane the other day, after 4 years and a few hours in the seat, I JUST noticed that the pedals are not centred on the pilots body.

https://picasaweb.google.com/payare...key=Gv1sRgCMy4_-3s8cmZ7QE#5858243148398242786

it's hard to figure how this design came to be, but wouldn't it make sense to narrow the centre tunnel a bit, and actually have the pedals naturally in front of each, ah, hip? I guess? seems that the stick is pushing on my big fat right thigh with any degree of deflection, while to the left is clear.
...or am I deformed in some way..... and mom never told me???:confused:

David,

A couple of quick thoughts:

1) Your design only addresses adjustment of the mounting blocks for the torque tubes at the top. That's only half the problem. The other half is the length of the links to the rudder cables at the bottom of the pedals. That would have to be adjustable as well. Otherwise the bottoms of the pedals will remain at exactly the same place. All you will have changed is their angle.

2) I question the value of having adjustable rudder pedals in the -7/7A, since it already provides the ability to adjust the fore-aft position of the seat backs. And the seat back adjustment has several advantages over the rudder pedal adjustment:
  1. Adjusting the seat backs is simpler/easier/quicker (just two hinge pins, and no crawling under the panel)
  2. The seat backs can be adjusted individually for the left and right seat, whereas the pedals could only be adjusted all together.
Also, for me personally, I don't see a need for a quick adjustment at all, since I'm the only one who will ever occupy the left seat. But for others who might share a plane with another pilot in a partnership, I could see the convenience of a quick adjustment to go back and forth.

Last edited:
Looking at this picture.....Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1963 View Post
https://picasaweb.google.com/payarem...43148398242786

I see the flap switch with a addition that is ripe to flip to down during heavy turbulence.......:eek:

It looks like you have the talent to design and build pedal extenders. This has been done before, and work very well. You just clip them onto the side needed.

Do pay close attention to the geometry of the pedal assembly as you install them. You don't want the pedals to hang straight down, you want them tilted toward you so the pedal is pushed down as your foot is extended. It is natural for your toe to extend as you push with your foot. This will apply pressure on the brakes if the pedals are in the vertical position.

Floor mounted pedals naturally follow the extension of the toe as the leg is extended.

I like the design concept,
When building under the current method, the center support becomes a little problem if the pedals are changed in the future.
Smilin'Jack

Back