What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Exhaust Polished

bkthomps

Well Known Member
So this may be a dumb question, but has anyone had their stainless exhaust polished? If so, what is the end result after a few hours of operating?

Was trying to figure out if they all turn that dull brown color eventually, or if a polish job will result in a slightly better sheen. I know you don't see the exhaust, i'm just one of those personalities who likes things to be nice under the cowl/hood.

I can only answer part of the question. I had my entire exhaust as well as my engine mounts polished, they look wonderful.
I have no idea how long the polish will last. Sure looks great while building though!
6tmds6.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
In a moment of silliness, I polished the ends of the tailpipes on my '8'. Just the last 8 inches or so that show with the cowl on. The color went from shiny stainless to a slightly yellow-brown cast after about an hour of flight and the full matt brown returned in around 8 hours of flight.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

In a moment of silliness, I polished the ends of the tailpipes on my '8'. Just the last 8 inches or so that show with the cowl on. The color went from shiny stainless to a slightly yellow-brown cast after about an hour of flight and the full matt brown returned in around 8 hours of flight.

Same here. I won't bother again.

Ceramic

I understand there are several previous threads regarding the whole system being ceramic coated or not, but what about ceramic coating just the last 8" or so of the exterior of the tailpipes? I wonder if that would cause any issues and maybe maintain a nicer appearance?

ceramic experience - 2 wheels

In another application, I had a ceramic treatment installed on a motorcycle exhaust.

Black ceramic looked great, but heat-cool cycles and flexing started crazing on the pipes within a month of daily riding. I never thought to measure before and after weight.

YMMV.

I can only answer part of the question. I had my entire exhaust as well as my engine mounts polished, they look wonderful.
I have no idea how long the polish will last. Sure looks great while building though!
6tmds6.jpg
[/IMG]

Don, quit spending money on things like this, and buy your kids some shoes and get that one eyed dog some help..................:p

Hey, that is not expensive chrome, just polished stainless. Done at no cost during lunch hour by a son that does that for a living.

Don, quit spending money on things like this, and buy your kids some shoes and get that one eyed dog some help..................:p

chrome/stainless exhaust

This thread reminds me of a letter to a motorcycle tech page asking how to keep bike exhaust shiny. The editors replied " don't start the Bike" :D

blue pipes

A mild acid solution will remove blue discoloration from the pipes. If I recall, we used to use a mild acetal acid solution to remove most of the blue and some of the brown after welding stainless steel. Perhaps vinegar would be strong enough to do the same. Motorcycle shops sell compounds such as Dyno Kote and Blue Shield the help (slightly) in the reoccurrence.
It's worth a try I suppose. I'm going to let mine turn brown! :D

About the engine mount, is it stainless? I assumed it was chromoly (at least on the -7). If chromoly, I would be concerned with corrosion setting in over time if the powder coating is removed.

Not an RV'er but have 2,800 hours on my 321 SS LongEZ exhaust. I work in a shop that does metal polishing so have pulled the system off a couple of times and within 200 hours it looks muddled brown again. The only advantage to re-polishing every so often is inspection for hairline cracks is enhanced.

dk

Back