What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat Access Hole in Firewall

rcarson

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me a good way to punch or drill the 2" hole in the firewall for the heat box access. I have Dillman punches up to 1" but the 2" is $106.00 by itself. Can't find a rental place that has one locally either. If there's another way I'm game but the cleanest is the punch. Any advice will help.

2" fire wall hole

Hello, a Lenox hole saw at low speed and some cutting oil works great!
Lenox blades last a long time. Use a variable speed drill and keep it very slow, let the blades cut the SS. Dont spin and burn.

A quick search showed Lennox Hole saw kits selling at around $150 $200. So I suspect the last post is not an option.

I could be wrong, however and there may be places to purchase cheaper.

A quick search showed Lennox Hole saw kits selling at around $150 $200. So I suspect the last post is not an option.

I could be wrong, however and there may be places to purchase cheaper.

In the states, there are single size hole cutters (Lennox type), that sell for around $35 including the arbor. Some brands are even cheaper. Look on-line at Home Depot & Lowes for some examples.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Large Firewall holes

In the states, there are single size hole cutters (Lennox type), that sell for around $35 including the arbor. Some brands are even cheaper. Look on-line at Home Depot & Lowes for some examples.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Like some have already stated, I used the Lennox type from my local Lowes aircraft supply aisle. It came with a pilot/arbor. I used a wood 2x4 to back it up on the opposite side. KEEP IT CUTTING SLOWLY AND USE BOELUBE (or some other cutting type fluid)

Worked great.

Cutting a hole in stainless

The cheapest way I have found, and it's worked many times, is to drill some smaller holes with bits you already own, then use a right hand or left hand snip to roughly cut out the hole, leaving at least an 1/8 inch edge that you have drawn on the firewall with a sharpie, and then finish it off with a 1/4 inch carbide burr.

The cheapest way I have found, and it's worked many times, is to drill some smaller holes with bits you already own, then use a right hand or left hand snip to roughly cut out the hole, leaving at least an 1/8 inch edge that you have drawn on the firewall with a sharpie, and then finish it off with a 1/4 inch carbide burr.

A unibit does a great job on the thin ss. Just GO SLOW!!! Really slow!!! Use a cordless drill motor and a little cutting oil.

Draw your circle or what ever you want to cut out and then drill a hole near the edge and snip it out..... finish with a fine round file....... so easy you will laugh...:D

Greenlee Punch Kit

I am not a Greenlee salesman! The greenlee kits are a bit expensive, but this is a very safe tool to make precise holes in firewall or other. Any hole bigger than your average unibit is greenlee territory. I used my greenlee kit more than enough to justify the tool.

I used a 2" hole saw I bought at Home Depot. It was cheap, less than twenty bucks if I recall correctly. As a previous post said, go slow, use cutting oil and you will be fine. No need for expensive tools.

Hole saw

I mentioned earlier a lenox hole saw, about $30.00 for a 2 ".. Home depot sells a Ridgid brand which also works well for around the same price. My experience in construction is that Lenox blades last a long time. For a one time deal, most 2" hole saws would do the job.

Greely Punch

An electrician friend stopped by one Saturday with a Greely (sp?) punch set, and hydraulic pump. Knocked out the holes in the firewall and the battery box in no time.

Nibbler

I cut a template out of a wood block to guide my (crappy) Harbor Freight nibbler around. A little cleanup with a scotchbrite wheel was all that was necessary.

20080923-07-tn.jpg

20080923-08-tn.jpg

20080923-09-tn.jpg

20080923-10-tn.jpg

20080923-11-tn.jpg

20080923-12-tn.jpg

Good luck!

I like the above idea........ Except I would use a unibit to start. It would just be faster.

If you have the proper punch, great. But it is not worth purchasing for the small amount of use that it will get.

Back