What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modified Tailwheel

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
Here is a pic of a modified tailwheel. I like the fork coming down at an angle. I will mostly operate from soft fields and when crossing from grass to hard surface there is a chance that the original design catches on the vertical part - not good. Does anyone know where to get one of this??

IMG_1295edit.jpg

This looks like a Doug Bell tailwheel fork: [email protected].

You have identified a potential problem with the factory forks that has caused damage to the tail in the past. You have a least two other alternatives that you can choose:

Aviation Products, Inc. (similar to Doug Bell fork) and Vince Frazier's fork (has the factory look, but provides additional clearance for obstacles). You should be able to find plenty of information on this site about each of these alternatives. I would do a search on all three and take a good look at each alternative.

The steering link/arm depicted is, I believe, JD Air's and a great way to go. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Bell Tailwheelfork

Yes, it's true - it's the tail wheel fork by Doug Bell and the steering link from JD Air Parts.
We have mounted it two days before the Damme RV-Meeting in May,
where the Foto probably have been made.
Its a work of art, provides more clearance und improves visibility.
I can truly recommend it.

Hey, still a picture of the whole plane? (Still with the old tailwheelfork).
Look here: (#243)
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1744&page=25

Thanks for all this info. Will have a look at my options, but I really like the one in the pic.
Yes the pic was made in Damme/Germany on 28th May this year.
And Andreas - your RV is a beauty!!

Back