What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10: 45-90-45 bend in straight fuel line

fehdxl

Well Known Member
I decided to use a 90 degree bulkhead fitting at the tunnel and side skin. To allow for movement, fitting, expansion, etc. I formed a 45-90-45 bend into the otherwise straight line. Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks!

Jim

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't see any problem with it.

The coefficient of expansion is .0000129" per inch per degree F change. So for every degree F that tube changes it will shrink or expand .000258". With cool fuel running through it and then sitting on a hot ramp we might see 50F change so maybe .0129" change in length.

If built per the plans no problem but having the bulkhead fitting on exterior skin I would have done the same thing or a full loop.

I did the same exact thing. It will make hooking the wings up a lot easier! There should be more than enough flex in the bend.

IMG_1201.jpg

RV 10 fuel line

Would someone out there tell me the size of a rv10 fuel line, I'm helping a friend on his compost airplane with the same engine as an 10 and he wants to install 1/2 inch fuel lines, much extra work!!!! Thanks

It's all 3/8" line, from the tank to the engine.

I really don't see the benefit of the added bulkhead fitting. In all my work on RV-10's, the fuel line from the tunnel side to the tank was never a problem. At first, the plans called for a single line from the tank to the fuel selector, and that was at the top of the tunnel, not lower like it is now. That was very difficult. They finally added the bulkhead fitting at the tunnel side, but that made the line to the wing easy. It can even be installed after the wing is installed. I personally wouldn't add the extra 2 possible points of failure on each side. If I was doing so, however, I would add the bend just as you did.

1/2 inch can be good.

Would someone out there tell me the size of a rv10 fuel line, I'm helping a friend on his compost airplane with the same engine as an 10 and he wants to install 1/2 inch fuel lines, much extra work!!!! Thanks

It really varies from airframe to airframe. Your friend may be quite right in making the switch to 1/2 inch lines. He should really consult other builders of his type. For instance the Lancair ES/IV series planes were originally spec'd out for 3/8 inch line, but builders found that 1/2 inch was more appropriate, based on their fuel needs. I believe it had to do with not achieving sufficient 1.25 times max required fuel of the engine. Now everyone does 1/2 inch.

So don't base his decision on the RV-10 setup. Call me with specific Q's if you like.

Tim.

Back