What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

496 to 796

mtnflyer

Well Known Member
I've been thinking, I know, it's a bad thing to do. It's maybe time to upgrade from a 496 to a 796 in my 7. What kind of problems am I going to run into with, #1, size, will it fit in the same space in the panel as the 496? #2, what kind of problems will I run into with the wiring? I'm feeding info to my AP and to the D180 and receiving XM weather.

You are kidding about the size, right?

Look up the specs. The 796 is at least twice the height of the 496. If you mount with Air Gizmo, look up the dimensions on their site.

Wait until after Sun N Fun to see what kind of new goodies Garmin comes out with, just in case? I have heard the 796 screen is not as visible in direct sunlight as the 660 and 660 has better touch controls and is cheaper.

+1 for 660

I just transitioned from the 496 to the 660. There are things I really liked about the 496 plus I was accustomed to it having used it for ten years. But if you want to upgrade the 660 is a good choice. It has basically the same size overall as the 496 though flatter profile; easier to remove from the mount; much higher resolution screen; lots of options for what to view and alerts; can mount vertically or horizontally; will accept ADS-B In traffic. A good option in my opinion.

Chris

I'm still using a 496 as well; I'd upgrade to the 660 tomorrow, if only... XM radio and weather!

According to the Aera 660 thread, they've been working on the XM solution since introduction a year ago, but still nothing... I gotta wonder what this issue is with this new platform since XM has already been on the 496 for 10 years. But, I'm not a computer guy, don't know all the ins and outs...

660 XM - What's the Problem?

Hopefully the Garmin guys will follow this thread.

I'm another guy who is more than willing to immediately send Garmin my $$$ for a 660 - if XM weather is included.

Seems to be a credibility / BS gap here. If XM has been included in the 496 seemingly forever, how hard can it be to put it in the 660?

Instead of years-long we're working on it promises, how about a technical explanation of the unique challenges - if any?

Back