What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do You like your Koger Sunshade?

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Trying to decide if I should have one of these for my slider 9.

For those that have one in your RV6,7, or 9....are you happy with it?

Jim
RV9a
Michigan

excellent

I was to cheap to get one for a couple years. Buddies all had one, I used the static stick shade panels for cars. Finally bought one after a few trips south. Worth every penny. There are two versions. I got the wider one, works great!

Almost a necessary accessory in the summer. Also helps the lighting if you are using a tablet for anything.

Should be standard equipment.

Totally AGREE! I just called Koger Sunshade today as my knob mechanism on the front rib broke after nearly 15 years of use. A new replacement front rib is coming my way free of charge :) Rosie

Follow-up: Ralph sent me two at no cost to me along with a nice, personal note :) Thank you Jeff & Ralph!

Last edited:
Bigger

bigger is always better :p

a few of my friends with the smaller original ones have commented that they wish they had the bigger one, sunny flying its great.

My wife pretty much always pulls it, I like the view most of the time. But when visiting Florida, it is always in use. Also great for when you're parked on a sunny ramp for a few hours but don't want to break out the canopy cover.

A word of advice -- follow the instructions and be sure to permanently attach the cover to the front rib, otherwise a panel may depart while taxiing with the canopy open. This may only be a 'problem' with a slider. If anyone at Triple Tree '14 found piece of Koger fabric... or anyone in Lynchburg in summer of '13. Yes, this has happened to me twice, I guess I am dense.

-jon

Kroger shade = happy wife = happy life. Purchased in 1996, now in second RV, still like new. Larry

Love it! Must have item in the sun. ☀️

BTW, also nice for IMC when IFR to help with slight vertigo from going in & out of clouds. As a habit, I extend it before starting an approch. Don't know if really helps but, gets me focused. 😀

Not correct

I have a tip up and have the wide version ordered from vans and its excellent. I would look into that as I do not believe you are correct.

I believe the specs are on the vans web.

I was reluctant to obstruct my pristine view in the tip-up and mostly just got it for the girlfriend's comfort, but I have to admit after using it for a year, its a game changer...as others have said, a must have for summer flying.

A hot sun necessity, IMHO. I do remove it during the winter months for added solar heating here in the frozen north.

The larger version extends move over the baggage area to shade your neck then wider, but every bit helps. The rear vane set screw will interfere with a slider track when deployed, so it should be retracted before opening. Or shorten the screw!

John Siebold

I have a tip up and have the wide version ordered from vans and its excellent. I would look into that as I do not believe you are correct.

I believe the specs are on the vans web.

On the Long Slider version it will cover most of the baggage area. If you have a Tip-Up you have a rear roll over and the kroger shade does not go past it. YMMV and maybe they have changed there design. Please explain how your Koger covers your back window area past the rool bar. :)

Will they install on a sikaflex-ed canopy?

Mine has been stuck to the inside of my tip-up canopy for 5 years using the double-sided tape it came with. If you're adventurous you could sikaflex the track to the canopy, but I don't think it's necessary.

Kroger Sunshade

Been thinking about this for my -4 since it does get a bit hot here in Missouri in the summer. Sometimes I use an IPAD Mini and it has overheated and shut down before from the direct sunlight. Since the Mini has Foreflight with synthetic vision it really is a must have on cross country flights so I would like to keep using it.

Have never seen one on a tandem, anyone using these sunshades on a tandem?

Since I don't have the wider canopy just wondering how much visibility will be blocked by the shade.

I just bought a brand new Todd's tinted canopy so I'm also concerned what it will do to the canopy if I ever want to remove it.

Oly

How big are they? What size? TIP UP ONLY

Hello,

I did not ordered mine but will soon, so I had the same questions and could not find the answer so far.

But now, I had a look at the Koger homepage, here is the info I found:

The Small Tip-up/Small Universal was designed specifically for your RV Tip-Up Canopy. Each shade is 25" long and 30" wide, and fits RV - 6, 7, 9 and the RV - 12.

NEW PRODUCT - RV Tip-Up-WIDE
4 inches wider than the regular Small Sunshade, the WIDE shade provides 100 additional square inches of shade!

This is what Vans offer:
Retractable shade for side-by-side tip-up canopy
Part Number = KOGER SHADE -6 TIP-UP

Retractable shade for 6/7/9/12/14 tip-up canopy
Part Number = KOGER SHADE TU-WIDE

For the RV-14 canopy, the KOGER SHADE TU-WIDE is suggested. This may also be used in the 6/7/9 tip-up canopies if a wider shade is desired (adds about 2" each side to the standard tip-up shade).

I hope it helps!

On my wife's first flight the only thing she didn't like was the hot sun. The shade went on that week and has been an absolutely essential item on the aircraft's "Required For Flight" list.

When I put in the "Almost a 14" mod, the cloth hit the back of my head when it was retracted and the seat was back. I had to remount it a couple of inches further back and add to the straps that go to the roll bar.

The -10 has its own shade, the cabin, but I do miss that wide open feeling a little.

I've owned an RV6 slider with no sunshade for 3 years now. Every summer when I fly it in the blast furnace Texas heat, I cannot help but think what a complete doofus I am for not having bought one of these sunshades yet.

No comment Neal! ;-)

The large Koger shade has kept us comfy for the fast 2 yrs. Within 2 months from purchase of my 6 slider, I had one on order! The Best Mod yet!
However, the TruTrak Gimini AP880 autopilot may give it a run for its money when Santa drops one under the tree this winter :p

This is one of the most unanimous responses on VAF ever:D I also have one and love it. I always have it folded for VFR takeoff and landing but then it is "as-needed/desired" and I use it A LOT! I always use it for shade when parking outside. Sunny and 100F and parked without the sun shade can make it impossible to wear the seat belt after having it heat soak, even keeping it covered with a towel!

I didn't know about the option for wider...thanks everyone who mentioned it. I think I might upgrade!

kogers in my RV9A slider. awesome and yes these should be standard. no problems with the velcro.

Trying to decide if I should have one of these for my slider 9.

For those that have one in your RV6,7, or 9....are you happy with it?

Jim
RV9a
Michigan

Back