What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon fiber

1. will not save you a lot a weight unless you carefully engineer it and vacuum bag it. Harder than glass to work with
2. Carbon splinters a problem, sharp edges
3. More expensive than glass
4. Very pretty
5. You will fly faster because of thinner wallet

Carbon fiber is electrically conductive. Don't accidentally lay the fabric across battery terminals on your bench or anything else which is carrying current – it will start a fire.

It should not be used in direct contact with aluminum because of material interaction issues (galvanic corrosion, etc.)

Carbon fiber comparison

Mtnflyer,FWIW, the above comments are accurate. That said carbon fiber is much stiffer(lb for lb) than glass. This is only an advantage if you have the engineering perspective to apply it effectively. Otherwise you will find it more difficult to form sharp curves, be equal in weight and more stiffness than required.
Regarding safety, epoxy is epoxy. Glass and carbon are particulates you don't want in your lungs. They are not the same hazard as abestos. Research the net for the difference if you are concerned.
I have enjoyed outstanding results with carbon. Send me your email if you want pics.

I used one layer of carbon fiber in the fiberglass layup over my rollbar. I wanted good strength and stiffness where I know I will be grabbing getting in and out of the plane. I had no issues using it and will use it again when needed.

Use it

Carbon fiber is a fun material to work with. I find it much easier to work with than fiberglass especially when dealing with curves. Generally the weave isn't as tight which allows it to ply easier.

It is an Internet myth that carbon is considerably more expensive than fiberglass. It can be depending on source. I have bought several yards (end of a roll) for less than glass.

In the photo below you can see some canopy deck overlays for my 7. These are two layers of carbon and two layers of glass. These are single pieces wet out and formed in place. Also in the photo, in the background, is the roll of carbon. I think I got 10 yards in that purchase. Don't remember the cost, but it was less than a comparable roll of glass. Search Ebay, Amazon and you'll find it.

2hfthya.jpg
[/IMG]

Darwin,
The edge overlays look great. Nice work. I have done lots of glass but never carbon fiber. You have given me the push to give it a shot. Thanks.

The electrical conductivity can be a big issue depending on where you are using it. You cannot install antennas underneath carbon fiber, for instance.

I was building a nose bowl and air inlets for a Reno racer out of carbon. Sanding with a mask which really does not do a bunch of good because the fibers go everywhere and you end up inhaling some unless you use clean room techniques.

Started having chest pains like pleurisy or a heart issue. Emergency room trip which had them confused. Finally took chest X Rays and found minor pneumonia in both lungs. No other symptoms. Dr. said it was most likely from the carbon dust. Went away in a few days.

Back