What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to cut mixture/carb heat cable sheathing

jrm7997

I am just in the process of replacing a carb heat cable and ordered the cable from A Spruce. It is an A-700 with a locking knob. They sell three lengths so i figure you just cut them to the length you need. When I recieved the cable (locking style) it says you can't pull the cable out more than 3 3/8 inches without ruining it.

So my question is, how do you cut the sheathing off without pulling the cable out before cutting?

Thanks in advance

I can't speak for that specific cable, I have a different product in my RV. It used a single bearing that would easily pop out if you pull the cable out to far. If you caught the bearing it was pretty easy to assemble. You can always give the vendor a call and ask for their preferred method.

Plan B would be to cut off multiple times in 3" increments.

Vender said..

Thanks for the advice. However, the vender said they sold specific ordered lengths. They didn't offer any cutting advice. As it was, the cable can be pulled out 3 3/8 without popping the ball out. That distance was enough for the motion I needed.

Thanks

Cutting Cable Sheath

I like to use wire cutters to create a gap of about 1/2" where I want the sheath to end. Then, either use very sharp wire cutters, or a fine tool saw blade (hacksaw,Dremel,etc) to saw thru the single strand of wire. Pull off the excess and discard.

I have that cable and have pulled the core all the way out multiple times. Bob is correct, there's a very small ball bearing that will fall out. Catch the ball in one hand by SLOWLY pulling the cable out with the other hand. Once you do it you'll see how it works. Easy to re-assemble too.

Just don't lose that ball bearing.....

Good to know

Thanks for the info. It's done now but I am sure someone else might have the same question.

Back