What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Canoe

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
OK, my "canoe" is all match drilled and all the necessary fabrication of parts completed. I'm starting to rivet it all together now and I realize that it would be a heck of a lot easier to rivet if it was right side up. Would it be OK to roll it over now and rivet?

Below are two photos of what she looks like now:

I am close to this stage, and I am building a -6, but I am glad you asked, it looks like you have riveted the bottom and sides of the tail, and you are flipping it to rivet the sides and bottom from the cargo section forward, is that correct?

The lower half of everything aft of the baggage bulkhead is already riveted. The seat ribs and bottom skin of the center section are riveted. At this point I need to rivet on the forward side skins and bottom skin between the center section and the firewall

That help???

Yes, I am riveting my tail section now, the ribs are all riveted as well, I was thinking about somewhere along the way turning it on its side. Once at least part of the bottom skins are fastened, and the sides are drilled, it should be okay on its side. Thanks again.

I'm not to sure rolling is a good idea,,,, even with all the clecos there will be some play and shifting. Tough it out and keep everything lined up....

PS I've built a 4,a6,and a 7A

I spoke to Vans

Apparently the idea of NOT "rolling the canoe" until riveted is left over tradition from the days before pre-drilled kits. They said is really should not matter whether I rivet it upside down or right-side up. The assembly might shift a little prior to dimpling, but once dimpled and clecoed it should remain true.

Back