What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A With Prop Strike ?

100K?

Lots of Glass,good glass,just.....Old glass but lots of it.How was the prop strike handled full tare down&inspection with bearings & bolts replaced or dialed the crank and good to go? Lots of questions given the history&Price.
RHill

Hartzell wants an overhaul for any prop strike. Lycoming AD on certified engines requires an inspection of the gears and replacement of some bolts in the accessory case. Some shops won't do the AD without also complying with a SB that calls for a complete teardown inspection. I think that SB also calls for overhaul of the prop governor and mags. Experimental engine is not required to comply with either ADs or SBs but my insurance company paid for all. Should be lots of logbook entries and documentation. For 100k it should be near perfect.

make sure you do a thorough check of the engine mount/firewall attachments and engine mount/nosegear strut intersection.

as to the market value i can't comment for the U.S.. other than having built and invested much more (ok, significantly also for shipping and taxes) in our 7A.
rising market value reflects the desirability of RV's and it would appear over recent years, RV's or their reputation have really reached mainstream pilots, hence a bigger buyer's base.
eventually, with all these second hand owners, maintenance and support in the long run might become a bit more difficult and also a challenge to the community in terms of keeping a good safety record.

Prop strike

Don't even look at it if the engine wasn't torn down after a prop strike on a Lycoming.

To me, it's odd that they mention "prop strike at Oshkosh 2014" and then do not comment on what was done about it. It's the obvious first question that any potential buyer will ask.

Prop strike

I helped build this aircraft and just finished a conversation with the owner about this prop strike. The aircraft remained at OSH while the engine had a complete tear down by the local engine shop and is back 100%..... And the owner has lowered the price.

Lots of Glass,good glass,just.....Old glass but lots of it.How was the prop strike handled full tare down&inspection with bearings & bolts replaced or dialed the crank and good to go? Lots of questions given the history&Price.
RHill

On the glass is there anywhere that has a good breakdown of price, types, years of different cockpit instruments?

Prop strike

I am the owner of RV7A that had a prop strike at Oshkosh. Engine was totally torn down by G & N Aircraft, Inc. at Grifffith, IN. They found no damage. Engine is an IO 360 Superior Aircraft. Low time. Engine shop treated it as if it ws a lycoming and replaced parts called for in Lycoming AD including 2 new magnetos. Removal and replacement of engine was done by New View Technologies at KOSH. Inspected firewall and found to be OK. Replaced prop. Replaced nose gear leg and fairings. Total repair costs exceeded $22,800. I am still interested in selling. Reduced price is $85,000 Plane is IFR capable. Call if interested 303 915 2211

Buyer Beware on this RV7A

Disclaimer - Please note that this post is only meant to help a potential buyer from getting hurt, or worse.

I just flew commercial from Ohio to Colorado to look at this airplane and inspected it yesterday based on assurances from the owner and others (A & P types) that it was a nice plane and worth the trip.

If you were thinking about this airplane I suggest you give me a call BEFORE you waste your time and travel expenses like I did.

I'm biting my tongue here and doing my best to share my experience yesterday without being too hard on anyone :).

Putting a price of ~$80k aside (from the $99k asking price), this was absolutely one of the worst examples of safety, riveting, and undisclosed issues that I've ever seen. I left before even getting into the real important stuff, it was that bad :eek:.

Link here:

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/VANS-RV-7A/2008-VANS-RV-7A/1288497.htm

Now I understand why I never received the detailed photos I requested.

What should you look out for if an aircraft has had a prop strike? These guys good for buying used Vans?

http://www.iacsales.com/listing/523rm/

Prices seem like they've gone up since the last time I was looking.

Back