What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag cap

mtnflyer

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend on his airplane and we have problem. There is very clearance between to mag cap and the firewall, not enough room for the wires. Has anyone out there heard of a mag with the wires coming sideways??? Thanks

What airplane? The tightest RV I know is the -3, and Slicks will just fit (very much like a Yankee). If you are open to different ignitions, the P-Mag wires seem to give more clearance.

Paul

The ACS harness can be bent into shape a little easier than the Slick. EZ's have this problem too, especially on the impulse mag.

Sad to say, this not an RV I'm working on, I'm being forced to work on a reconstuted porta poty,a velocity, just so I can stay down here in the keys for the winter. Anyway, we are installing a IO540 and there is very little room between the mag and the firewall and we would like not to cut into that firewall. Any ideas would help..... Thanks

Sad to say, this not an RV I'm working on, I'm being forced to work on a reconstuted porta poty,a velocity, just so I can stay down here in the keys for the winter. Anyway, we are installing a IO540 and there is very little room between the mag and the firewall and we would like not to cut into that firewall. Any ideas would help..... Thanks
Come back to Colorado. The cold will contract things enough & they will clear. :)

You didn't say if you you had an impulse coupler on the mag. If so, you could remove it to gain some space. You'd have to make other considerations for starting, however. If you have an electronic ignition on the other side, that would do it.

And Bill, you can keep that cold weather up there!!! The current temp here is 76 and a forecast low of 73. Keep shoveling.

Back