What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

90 degree angle drill

Eztroller

Well Known Member
I am planning on building an RV14, and wanted some input if one of these is useful. Costs isnt a consideration.

Thx

I am planning on building an RV14, and wanted some input if one of these is useful. Costs isnt a consideration.

Thx

Short answer, yes. I haven't built an RV-14 (but I'm about to get an education on that) but I've built an RV-7 and most of an RV-9A. I couldn't imagine not having one. So much so that my Sioux 90 degree angle drill is almost worn out.

I have an full size pneumatic angle drill that I used occasionally.

I used this Tight Fit Drill Kit much more often. It does take two hands. This would be nice but they are expensive, when you consider how many times you need it.

I believe they are necessary. They make things a bunch easier on several portions of the build. A couple things I would look into was a chuck that you can use a standard bit in. The shank bits are fine, but they are too long in almost every situation you need the drill. I would get the smallest you can get and if you want to have a second that is more powerful, get that one too. A friend had one that was about the size of a pencil and that saved me when I added electric roll trim and for securing wire terminals to the ribs under the seats.

Have fun!

This air drill is one I have for larger stuff.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in-right-angle-reversible-drill/p-00918514000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This one is like the one I used for small spaces.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aluminium-Head-Right-Angle-Drill-Attachment-90-Degree-Chuck-Key-Handle-Adaptor-For-Electric-Tool/32776379793.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.18.O2T83G

Definitely

What Lars said. I tried to get by with a Milwaukee 90 deg cordless electric on my -8 QB until I ran into a spot I could not get access even with that. Bought the best pnumatic right angle drill I could afford 15 years ago and it set me back ~ $250. I forget the brand, but I love it. It turns VERY fast compared to the Home Depot air drill I normally use, so perfect for aluminum. The threaded bits aren't cheap, and you won't need it every day, but when you need it you'll really need it. The single best tool purchase I've made.

This would be nice but they are expensive, when you consider how many times you need it.

I have one of those and regard is as necessary for an RV-3B. Maybe other RVs.

One feature that's not obvious: you can rotate the drill head relative to the handle by loosening that nut at the base of the black stem and rotating the stem, then retightening the nut.

Whichever of these drills you get, you'll need a bunch of different-length threaded drill bits.

Dave

I didn't use mine often on my 9A, but when I did use it, it was usually because it was the only drill that could fit in a very small space. I typically used it with very short threaded drill bits.

Last edited:
Drill kit

I have an full size pneumatic angle drill that I used occasionally.

I used this Tight Fit Drill Kit much more often. It does take two hands. This would be nice but they are expensive, when you consider how many times you need it.

I use one quite often. In fact, I ran a 1/4-28 die over the shaft and it makes a great 90 degree speed deburring tool.
2432dcx.jpg

I rarely use my right angle drill. It never seems to fit the space.

Last edited:
Having built a 4, a 6, and a 7a, you should get both a 90 and a 45 degree drill adapters. You will sooner or later need them all. Also, I used the threaded drills from the very beginning. Quicker to change and more versatility.

I didn't have a 90 deg drill during my tail section and wing builds. I managed with one of the 90 degree adapter. I really don't like the adapters though. With mine the torque of the drill makes it hard to hold positioned precisely.

I bought a Dotco 90 degree drill off of eBay and it has been very helpful. The one I have I fairly large. I would prefer a smaller one. Eventually I'll probably replace it with a smaller one.

I've had places on the fuselage where I've had to use the stubby bits. Not sure how I would have done it without the 90 degree drill.

I have the same 90 degree adapter as Wirejock in post #9. Could not have built my 9A without it. Surprising how many instances pop up where that's the only way to drill in a particular spot. If and when you can find one for a deal - including used ones - buy it! :D

one of the tool companies [avery or cleveland i think] sells colletts that are threaded on the end like your drill bit. very nice as you can use regular bits in not so hard places and save your threaded short bits until really needed.........or cut regular bits down.

Back