What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which ELT

If you actually want it to work - get a 406 version. Either one that connects to an already installed GPS or one that has a stand-alone GPS.

If all you want to do is comply with the reg and don't care it it brings help in a crash, get a 121.5 ELT, assuming you can find one.

Dave

Being as I am having trouble understanding the new elts as well this may be a dumb question but what happens if the gps remote or not fails or is not turned on when you crash?

Being as I am having trouble understanding the new elts as well this may be a dumb question but what happens if the gps remote or not fails or is not turned on when you crash?

If you have a non-GPS 406 ELT (or the GPS function is not working) the target search area increases.

121.5 ELT - target area 500 square nm (12-15 nm radius)

406 ELT without GPS location - 25 square nm (1-3 nm radius)

406 ELT with GPS locaton - accuracy to less than 100 yards

more info here: http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/406vs121.pdf

search for ELT on VAF

Lots of recent traffic on here Clark.....
I went with the recommendation of my avionics guys...the unit that seem to have the least failures out of the box, battery replacement cost, programming hassle, warranty etc. (It was NOT one of the cheaper ACK or AmeriKing.)

FYI- I went with the Pointer Skyhunter 406, which accepts an external gps from a puck or other equipment, and has an internal as well.
Pretty well made unit that significantly exceeds all the requirements.
Dubious velcro strap, so I added a big hose clamp to hold it in place!

If you have a non-GPS 406 ELT (or the GPS function is not working) the target search area increases.

121.5 ELT - target area 500 square nm (12-15 nm radius)

406 ELT without GPS location - 25 square nm (1-3 nm radius)

406 ELT with GPS locaton - accuracy to less than 100 yards

more info here: http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/406vs121.pdf
Assuming the trigger activates in the accident and the wire leading to the antenna isn't cut where it passes through a bulkhead.

To avoid the issues with the antenna coax being cut, or the antenna being swept off the fuselage in a crash, I went with the Kannad Integra, which has a built-in GPS and antenna, as well as a built-in 406MHz patch antenna. If it senses the external antenna has been broken off, it switches over to its internal antenna. In the RV's, this makes an ELT installed in the baggage area, with visibility of the sky through the canopy, a more viable alternative in the event of failure of the antenna or coax.

Back