What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about fumigating house (RV factory)

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I will have my house fumigated by professional termite company. They will tent my house for at least 48 hours using VIKANE (active ingredients are Sulfuryl Flouride and Chloropicrin). They say that this stuff will kill everything except spiders.

Qustion is - will my still unstarted kit suffer any ill effects from this chemical? I don't want to remove my kit parts unless it is absolutely necessary.

I'd appreciate input from those who know about these chemicals or those with experience with professionally done termite extermination. Using another chemical or one of the 'green' methods isn't in the cards. Thanks for considering my request.

My tail and wing parts went through the process twice, the fuselage and finish kit parts once. (Two different fumigation jobs on two different houses.) No problems found with any of the parts afterwards.

Two kinds of homeowners in California....those that know they have termites, and those that don't know they have termites. ;)

No idea on the sulfuryl flouride (flourides sound scary,) but the chloropicrin won't hurt any metals, or just about anything that doesn't breath. It is the strongest type of tear gas and (supposedly) is now only used to detect when the mixture is present. That doesn't take much! Actually, I am surprised it won't kill spiders. It was a go-to chemical back in the days before EPA. There is a rumor that I may know where some of that stuff is...

Bob

Chloropicrin can cause corrosion. You should probably consider either moving the parts out of the house or sealing them to where the gas can't come into contact with any metal.

I would worry more about the fumes from the temporary meth lab they will set up when the house is tented.

Back