-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Quick, file for Patent/trade mark protection before we see a kit coming from China!

~Marc
Plus extra donation for someone who didn't
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM

FWIW, the molded rubber/fiberglass bottoms are still doing fine at 650 hours:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?p=759394
Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Axel, copy away.

Dan, my final revision may end up very similar to your booties.

Did a short fuel/software/speed run yesterday, although the rear part of the seal stays put when hand moving the airplane on the ground I think the friction caused by the higher speeds grabs and tucks the seal into the wheel pant. The side flaps also seem to be rubbing on the outside of the wheelpants, but was also found tucked into the wheelpant. The front of the seal seams to be doing well.
You can see the aft portion of the seal tucked into the wheelpant which actually seals very well but not sure how long it would last, I don't think the side seals are sealing at all.

No speed difference at all based on TAS, same 6000 PA and similar temps as previous flights. (TAS checked within 1 knt with NTPS 3 leg run)

I trimmed the side flaps and will do some more flying and thinking.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 PM

Default expaning foam

I helped with some Red Bull Air Race mods a couple years ago and to seal the pants we wrapped the wheel/tire with plastic/tape and shot expanding insulation foam into the gap, then trimmed it after cure. A pretty tight seal was achieved, and the tire rubbed away any foam that got in the way. No idea if it helped, were doing lots of other speed mods at the same time.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Default Like your ideas for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
Mike, 3M weatherstrip adhesive from the auto parts store I had laying around.

Crabandy,
I have some ideas as well for my tailwheel.

I'll work them make up some working efforts and show my pix.

Keep it up.

Daddyman
dues paid +
Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Since my cowling/plenum work, oil temps have been about 10* warmer which is odd since CHT's are down. I'm attempting to remotely mount my oil cooler for more control over oil temps and also direct the air toward the exit. I'm trying to use most of my existing baffling, hoses and hardware. I'm attempting to place it about here....I'm thinking of securing the lower duct to the engine mount which will then hold the oil cooler.

From what I've read a 3 inch (7.07 sq in) scat tube with a properly designed duct/hood over the oil cooler should be adequate for my 7 row Niagra 20002A. Folks with the larger coolers find 4 inch (12.57 sq in) scat tube is needed. Because I'm reusing my existing baffles, I made a square 5.25 x 2.00 (10.5 sq in ) inlet where the cooler was mounted.

I made the curvy transition pieces using 5052 H3 aluminum (bends easier and sharper ) a few clamps and finger strengthening exercises....

Old 03-09-2017, 07:31 PM

I finished the last curved lip for the oil cooler inlet, I'm leaving everything cleco'd for now while I work through the rest of it.

I glued some foam together with epoxy/micro and a couple long deck screws to keep things from sliding around. I added a small chunk of wood the size of the oil cooler fins as a reference point, also deters me from sanding the final shape too small. I made a separate chunk of foam for the bottom of the cowling that nestles into my exit.

I trimmed the foam to fit inside the cowling and to semi mate to each other. I had to have the lower cowling installed to correctly position the bottom piece, it didn't leave a lot of room to work. Looks like the epoxy/micro exotherm'd a bit and melted some of the foam.

I'm aiming to keep the exit duct for the oil cooler the same size as the cooling fin surface area, about 16.5 sq in, the duct exit is odd shaped to nestle into my lower cowling exit radius. I used a sharpie to scribble some rough shapes for sawing and sanding, I used a fabric sewing tape measure to keep things concentric. The melted foam/epoxy rib is gonna take a little more fixn, lots of work left to do but I have a rough shape...

Last edited by crabandy : 03-09-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Cool stuff!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 AM

Default WOW

Andy,
I admire your ability to just tear into things. Not a thread redirect but about the oil temp, do you have piston squirters?

Nice radius work, do you have data on this or is it wishful thinking about the airflow verses pressurized plenum air? Thinking I have seen someone lately do a similar thing to direct flow through cylinders somewhere...can't remember now.

Quote: "I'm aiming to keep the exit duct for the oil cooler the same size as the cooling fin surface area, about 16.5 sq in, "
Why the "size" of the oil cooler?
Why not 125% of the input, allowing for thermal expansion?

Which input...the 10" opening in the baffling or the 7" duct opening?
I can appreciate your effort to pressurize the input air tapering down from 10 to 7.....but not clear on your exit thoughts.
I understand starting at the cooler size for attaching and gathering the air but you could taper to a smaller size to help fit better.
10 times 125% or 7 times 125%
or maybe you have found the actual free air flow number for the cooler?

Just 2 cents from a fan...
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Andy,
I admire your ability to just tear into things. Not a thread redirect but about the oil temp, do you have piston squirters?

No squirters that I'm aware of, converted HIO-360-A1F6D to carb and 8.5 compression and electronic ignition. Oil Temp was really not a problem, me tearing into things probably is....
#4 has always been my hottest cylinder in climb by 20*, in cruise everything is pretty even. I had some baffle wraps left on cylinder 4 I wanted to pull off as well as see if I could direct a little more air into it. I also wanted to duct the oil cooler air toward the exit, just to see....

Nice radius work, do you have data on this or is it wishful thinking about the airflow verses pressurized plenum air? Thinking I have seen someone lately do a similar thing to direct flow through cylinders somewhere...can't remember now.

Mostly wishful thinking or rounded corner is better than square, I'ld like to say I've understood the old NASA reports on engine baffling but the pictures and summaries help.

Quote: "I'm aiming to keep the exit duct for the oil cooler the same size as the cooling fin surface area, about 16.5 sq in, "
Why the "size" of the oil cooler?
Why not 125% of the input, allowing for thermal expansion?

Which input...the 10" opening in the baffling or the 7" duct opening?
I can appreciate your effort to pressurize the input air tapering down from 10 to 7.....but not clear on your exit thoughts.
I understand starting at the cooler size for attaching and gathering the air but you could taper to a smaller size to help fit better.
10 times 125% or 7 times 125%
or maybe you have found the actual free air flow number for the cooler?

I went with the 10.5 sq in oil cooler opening because it was a split between the 3 and 4 inch scat tube areas and it fit nicely with the stock opening on the baffle.
I plan on a diverging duct to the face of the cooler that's about 16.5 sq in so I will lose some pressure.
Really didn't plan on thermal expansion of the air in the exit duct. I was hoping to maintain enough pressure differential to cool the oil well and stay above lower cowling pressures.
Really just a guess overall.
The cooler on the baffle had about 10ish sq in of fin area available to plenum pressure, the other 6ish inches were right next to the hot cylinder head with the exit blowing against the firewall. I'm thinking that moving the cooler off the hot engine and exposing all of the cooling fins to airflow will make the already adequate cooling even more so. I do plan on making the exit of the oil cooler duct slightly smaller to "throttle" the exit, it should give me a little leeway to open the exit slightly if I need more oil cooling.

Post #12 from this thread reinforced what I've searched online...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...=146953&page=2

Just 2 cents from a fan...

Thanks Bob, but I'm an amateur.....pictures prove it!

Last edited by crabandy : 03-10-2017 at 08:33 AM.