Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM

I think the only bad thing about flying formation with Swifts is that it's a constant reminder how good looking they are.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM

On the other end of the spectrum.... I have flown formation with an Aeronca Champ, an Aircam, and a red R44 helicopter with a white bearded pilot dressesd in Santa suit!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Fling
Flying since 2007, 700+ hours
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM

LOL! Yep, been there. Started out flying formation in C-150s. Then a Luscombe, flying with Cubs, Zlin-242, C-172, Arrow, Archer, C-140 and even a C-182. Ironically the RV is the first non-dissimilar aircraft I've flown with! SOOOO much nicer in general as it requires far less throttle adjustment. Try being number 4 in a Luscombe 8A, in a turn led by a 172. Full throttle on the outside, no throttle, fartin along at 60 mph if the guy turns into you. Fun!

Never, EVER got to fly next to Santa though!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
On the other end of the spectrum.... I have flown formation with an Aeronca Champ, an Aircam, and a red R44 helicopter with a white bearded pilot dressesd in Santa suit!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Fling
Flying since 2007, 700+ hours

I meant I was in my RV-8 flying along side of the Champ, Aircam, and the R-44. Oddly enough the R-44 was the easiest to fly in formation with than the other two. It sounds like you've had some interesting formation flying too! I was once #34 in a 36 ship formation of C-130s. Talk about some dirty air!

Jerry
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM

LOL! That had to be interesting. Champ nose down at full tilt, RV hanging on prop at idle with 10 degrees of flaps?

We used to marvel at the differences in the Cub and the Luscombe. I'd be hanging there at 1800 rpm and my buddy would be nose down, probably at 2300 rpm just to hold position. Same A-65 motor. Don Luscombe may not have been able to keep his business afloat, but that boy sure knew how to design efficiently!

You live on the east coast or in the mid atlantic region Jerry? Be nice to have a few more locals join us.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera710 View Post
LOL! That had to be interesting. Champ nose down at full tilt, RV hanging on prop at idle with 10 degrees of flaps?

We used to marvel at the differences in the Cub and the Luscombe. I'd be hanging there at 1800 rpm and my buddy would be nose down, probably at 2300 rpm just to hold position. Same A-65 motor. Don Luscombe may not have been able to keep his business afloat, but that boy sure knew how to design efficiently!

You live on the east coast or in the mid atlantic region Jerry? Be nice to have a few more locals join us.
Yes it was quite interesting...both aircraft near the limits of their performance envelope. I went to full flaps to lower my pitch attitude and to give me more drag so I wouldn't be against the idle stop the whole time. I think we were doing about 60 or 65 knots.

I'm down south near Atlanta based at FFC Falcon field. We have 30 RVs based on the field. Come on down and visit with us sometime!

Jerry
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM

On AvWeb today there was a video of one of the Red Bull aircraft flying formation with a skydiver riding under parachute. Now *that's* AOA.