- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Parts short, to be expected.

On in-between work days, I usually review the plans for the next time. Sometimes I find something that can be a delay issue. For instance, in reviewing the installation of the new headset jack modules installation this morning I found that the headset modules do not come with the isolation washers. Since I am not working with a kit to install the wiring harnesses I don't have the isolation washers; I thought they would come with the headset jacks. These don't seem to be on the Van's web store and they are closed but both the stepped and flat isolation washers are at AC Spruce and I placed a Saturday order with them and should get the washers 1st part of the week. I am taking the weekend off, but can't wait to get back to it on Monday!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:27 PM

Default It's coming together!

Not alive yet, but close:

There are lots more wires in the SV harness than I had before with the D-180 to support all the new features. Like Nav/Nav Strobe separation, ADSB in and out, the advanced autopilot knobs panels, canopy latch warning, etc.

The SVT has two USB plugs on the back as well as the USB plug that is in the harness and installs under the panel. Dynon suggest that a double USB panel jack be installed to easily access those ports. I put one in the map box.

So far, it has been an intense, but satisfying, project. There is a certain amount of trauma to your psych when you tear out a perfectly good panel and start a complicated replacement. But the work keeps you busy and there is no remorse once you see tangible progress. I found no real surprises. A lot of homework is involved reviewing the original plans, the SV update plans (sec 42D) and the new wiring harness plans section 31B plus the plans that come with the Avionics kit, section 42C, section 42G for the GTR 200 radio, section 42M for the control modules, section 44A for the autopilot servo wiring, and section 58 AP knobs. I spend one day at home getting getting my head around my notes and the plans between work days at the hangar.

I have been at it for 4 weeks, 3 days a week at the hangar and have about 72 hangar hours logged and don't know how many hours at home reviewing and planning.

I still need to get back into the tail cone and install the ADAHRS box. Been avoiding that task

Anyway, I am looking forward to turning on the Master very soon now and then it will be learning the new panel and putting the flight control hardware back together in the center tunnel.

I can hardly wait to get her going again and fly behind this beautiful panel!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 PM

Nice work Tony...I expected no less...
Old 11-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Looking great Tony, I am definitely borrowing your 'USB ports in the map box' idea. Can you share the source and specs of the black panel screws, I need to order them for my install. Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:56 PM

The USB ports in the map box did not originate with me. Bill H from Peel came up with that idea. The black screws are not my idea either, Joeri from the Netherlands gave me that idea and the screw spec. The forum is a useful thing, yes? Ideas from all over the world!

You can't use these pan head screws if you have already countersunk the holes. I think I read somewhere (in the plans?) that countersinking was optional, but can't find that source now. Remember that I am working on an already certified experimental so can do what I want. Flat head screws are a recent change, the early panels were not countersunk. I know of no source for aircraft quality black flat head screws.

The black screws are AN515B6R8 sourced from Aircraft Spruce. They are anodized brass and so are softer than steel. I ordered a couple hundred because I plan to only use them once. They are pretty sturdy, I have not broken any (yet)...

I am putting them in by hand with a quality bit and using the paste Biolube on each screw. A power driver will probably mar up the black anodizing and you would not be able to feel the torque. You don't want to break them or strip the head. If one gets too tight going in you could open up the nut plate a bit with a tap, although I don't subscribe to that as a general practice.

Last edited by Tony_T : 11-15-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 PM

Great, thanks Tony. I did not countersink the panel holes in anticipation of using the carbon fiber overlays. I am hoping the CF panels don't put me outside of ELSA parameters. These are the same panels that Van's includes on their SLSA panel. For the USB ports, I guess I should wait until after airworthiness inspection. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:59 PM

Here is a link to the screws I used. They are button head socket black oxide stainless steel. Very nice looking and nice to use an allen wrench instead of a screwdriver. They also have washers to match if desired.
http://www.fastener-express.com/6-32...e-qty-100.aspx

Larry Vandegrift
ULPower 260is
Old 11-15-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverlv View Post
Here is a link to the screws I used. They are button head socket black oxide stainless steel. Very nice looking and nice to use an allen wrench instead of a screwdriver. They also have washers to match if desired.
http://www.fastener-express.com/6-32...e-qty-100.aspx
Great. Thanks for that link. These may be a better choice than the brass anodized. Will order some.

Last edited by Tony_T : 11-15-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 AM

Looks good Tony. The screws are also available from McMaster and Carr. If you have countersunk, you can order a black washer from them also. Yes, they have a sturdy black finish. Thanks
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Tony -- If you are using pan-head or round-head screws with washers on your panel, be prepared for some "puckering" of the vinyl panel overlay material around the outer circumference of the washers. Since the puckering is very symmetric on my panel screws, I don't find it visually objectionable. I used clear nylon washers under my panel screws. If I were to do it again, I would likely apply some of the overlay material manufacturer's recommended special adhesive glue at each attachment hole location. -- David
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,170+ hours (as of May 2022)!
VAF donation through June 2023.
Closed Thread