What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When the hangar doors open...

I don't get it....why are folks excited about touch screens?

Perhaps because with the explosion of smart phones and tablet computers, that's the interface people are expecting. I can't count how may times I've tried to "wipe" or "pinch" the screen on my laptop - forgetting for a moment that it's my "old style" computer.

So that screenshot looks like it has a picture in picture feature that (hopefully) allows a generic VGA input from an external FLIR or lipstick camera. I can see how that would be very useful. I always wondered why more of the mfgs didn't do that.

I'm more interested in a single larger screen than whether it's a touch screen. In fact, I wish the G3X Touch had as many or more physical buttons & knobs as the old G3X. :-(

I've yet to see detailed specs, like screen resolution, panel cutout and overall dimensions. I saw WVGA mentioned, but 800 x 480 pixels can't be true... I hope!

Ooohhh, shiny metal object! :D

They look cool and have the potential to be great .. until the airplane starts bumping around in turbulence. I've only used ipads when its bumpy, and they are awful to use. Knobs and buttons are easier then, particularly in that they provide tactile feedback and things are always in the same location (i.e., the freq swap button doesn't move on the SL40).

TODR

I'm more interested in a single larger screen than whether it's a touch screen. In fact, I wish the G3X Touch had as many or more physical buttons & knobs as the old G3X. :-(

I am just the opposite, I prefer the backup of having two screens. But it is cool looking. And I do not like touch screens on the ground, much less in the air. My 650 is a nice unit, but I could live without the touchscreen. It's a pain in turbulence, finger/thumb rails or no. My age is showing I guess! ;)

The thing about having a backup is that there's twice the chance one would fail. :)

This is why I decided to get a VP-X Sport instead of a Pro. I didn't get why I would split my equipment into 2 buses with twice the chance that one side would fail and the same chance that the critical side would fail as with the sport.

My backup is the completely different manufacturer's AFS Mini B.

I would much rather keep my hands on the stick and throttle. A castle switch on the stick grip (right beside the trim hat) to scroll and select as desired would help out in this regard. So far none of the EFIS manufactures have allowed pin connections to facilitate this.

Every now and then I can't answer my I phone, or the speaker function won't activate. Sometimes touch screens hang up or lock up at very inconvenient moments. I have flown with a GTN750 and it is nice, but remote coms, transponders and audio panels make me a touch nervous. Just how would you control them if the screen locks up of goes blank or black?

I will keep on enjoying my not so old SL30 and SL70 and stand alone CDI for a few years yet.

Back