What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just got my RV-8 wing kit, not a QB

tswarups

At the risk of sounding wimpy, just got the wing kit
What are the 1?5?X? next out of the box things I should do right that I can learn from your experience (er besides the kiss the dog n scratch the lady thing...er well yu know.... but besides just riveting, etc)

1 RTFM
2 wing stand
3 wing jig
4 inventory
5 .......?

Any one? or a previous thread summary???:confused:Sorta

think the tail wasn't as intimidating cause it weren't so large...

Inventory - first and foremost. You only have 30 days to report anything missing to Vans for a free replacement.

Then - RTFM, and you start work on the spar. At some point very soon thereafter it will be quite helpful to have some sort of wing stand built where you can clamp the spar to it and have access to both sides while fitting ribs and skin on the wing. I made mine on caster rollers so I could easily move it around the shop.

Start thinking about things like the pitot tube (heated or not? Angle of Attack sensor?) and the OAT sensor, as well as autopilot servo (though this can be added later without major difficulty, it will never be as easy as it is before you skin the wing) and don't forget to run some conduit through the ribs for wiring (lights, antennas, servo) and install a pull-string in it.

Last edited:
Inventory and Organize, Organize, Organize.

Nothing is more frustrating than fumbling around bags and boxes looking for a small piece. Sometimes we get too excited to start clecoing that first piece. Ask me how I know, ha ha.

Here is a link to a previous thread about the wings and what you may want to look at:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=64460

I'm ready to go, stands are done and bolted to the floor, and I have all of my accessories. Just have to pick up the Dynon pitot tube.

Good luck with it.

If you go to www.mykitlog.com and search Jeff Mitchell or Brent Owens, you'll see some great work, nice progress shots, and tips on how they did the wings. All very informative.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited:
Inventory and Organize, Organize, Organize.

Go to Lowes and get you a couple of these - they will save your sanity!!

1001013p.jpg

Excellent you all, Good stuff Thanks
Is it me and I should have recieved the large blueprints for the wing assembly in my plans order with the manual or should I find them buried in the wing kit boxes, cause I don't see them any where they jump out at me in the two wing kit boxes and I have all the large ones from the Empennage.

Coulda put em where they would be so safe even I can't find em...

Go to Lowes and get you a couple of these - they will save your sanity!!

1001013p.jpg

Is one of these big enough for the wings? I have this exact unit and it worked great for the tail, but have been considering picking up a second one for the wings.

Back