What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 upholstery

JRo

Well Known Member
I have the nice upholstery kit for the RV-12; very pretty, perfectly tailored, and very well made. I am in upstate NY, in a (mostly) unheated hangar, and it's gettin' nippy!

The upholstery is fastened to the inside of the fuse with Velcro, one side of which is nicely stitched to the upholstery, and the matching side of which has peel-off stickum for the aluminum. Problem is, in some cases, the Velcro grip is stronger than the peel-off sticky adhesive, with the result that when I lift the carpet, the Velcro peels off the skin.

Sure, I can get more at the hardware store, but is there a way to permanently overcome this annoyance? Is the cold temp part of the problem? Does this stuff adhere better to bare aluminum than it does to primed aluminum? Should I sand or otherwise prep the surface? Super glue?

Thanks,
JRo
RV-12
N448JR (reserved)

RV10 DOC

Consider 3M VHB double sided tape. It is absolutely tenacious. Use the velcro that does not have an adhesive on it. Also utilizing a smaller piece of velcro may work better for you.

I agree with Larry. I have never seen any need for the Velcro on the seat bottoms and it did not hold the seat back cushions. I have 2 small screws holding the seat back cushions in place now.

Back