What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap/free "ground power supply" for airshows or during construction

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
This worked for me, but TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK :)

Last weekend my airplane was on display at Yuri's Night at NASA Ames (an annual party to celebrate space exploration) -- an event that lasts from 2PM to 2AM. I thought it would be cool to let people see all the avionics/Dynons running during the day, and of course my fancy LED position lights and strobes at night.

Certainly my battery wasn't going to last 12 hours running all that stuff, so I looked for other options. My Battery Tender only puts out 750mA, not enough for the estimated load of 10A.

I found this page on the web about how to convert your old PC power supply to a lab power supply. I had a pretty nice one lying around...It took about an hour to open it up, install a large power resistor (cost: 55 cents), and cut all the leads (I only brought out the 5V and 12V leads, I can add the others later). Worked like a charm! The only minor problem was that the power supply was rated to 15A at 12V, but the voltage was already starting to drop at 10A -- there may be multiple circuits to provide the aggregate 15A. But 10A was enough for what I wanted to do.

Once on location at the exhibit, I hooked the ground lead to the firewall and fished the other to the spot where my alternator connects. I fed both of these wires in via the exhaust outlet area, without decowling. Please check your electrical system carefully for the proper spot to patch in. Also check if you're energizing anything dangerous! On my airplane, this allows the contactors to be off and the battery totally disconnected. But the starter will be hot, so I put a cover over the starter switch and cordoned off the prop area just in case. I doubt the power supply would move the prop much before it fried out, but who knows...

2430574527_1ec9c5b022.jpg

Another warning would be to watch out for overheating on the power supply and any exterior lights you are running, since there is no airflow. My tail position light lens went a bit opaque from the heat.

It was worth it, though, for cool shots like this:

2410032979_5f7370d9a5.jpg

2406882526_01e491067e.jpg

2410808942_148e27157a.jpg

2410812892_99a45ce1e1.jpg

Some more photos from the event are here.

Last edited:
Nice lights

Thanks for the great post. I am sure that most of us have a PC power supply hanging around which would be suitable. This is a little off topic, but what is the story on your led position lights. They look great.

Thanks for the great post. I am sure that most of us have a PC power supply hanging around which would be suitable. This is a little off topic, but what is the story on your led position lights. They look great.

I believe Paul built them from. I read his ENTIRE build log before starting my build, as he was very detailed. I believe I benefited from his site even though he built a 9A and I'm building a 7.

Very cool pictures and idea Paul, looked like a neat event. Now paint that sucker!

*EDIT*

Here's something from his site about building the boards: http://eastham-lee.com/rv/blog/20050819.html

I believe Paul built them from. I read his ENTIRE build log before starting my build, as he was very detailed. I believe I benefited from his site even though he built a 9A and I'm building a 7.

Yes, they are my own design. Here's a photo of the lights themselves:
342647016_b47cb6fcf9.jpg

They are made from 5 Luxeon "Star"s screwed to a small piece of aluminum angle.

Nowadays I think you can buy little inline current regulators for high-power LEDs rather than build your own like I did. I was designing this stuff several years ago now...

Glad you got something out of the site, Matt.

Very cool pictures and idea Paul, looked like a neat event. Now paint that sucker!

I've got an appointment for paint in October!

Looks like a geeky version of burning man. I worked at Lockheed for years and DREAMED of being able to land at Moffet and walk out the gate to my building. Great photos.

Thanks for the picture of Hanger #1. I worked in that hanger for 2 years in '76 and '77 and my position allowed me to get on top of that hanger during the numerous air shows we helped set up back then.

Nice job with the P/S.

Cheap Ground Power Supply

I use a Cyberpower 12V UPS that I wired with a standard "cigarette lighter" power receptical. I have an identical auxillary power receptical wired under my panel for things like hand-held GPS, etc. I just plut the UPS into the Aux power receptical and it provides power to the main buss. Haven't tried running lights and everything electrical for hours, but it does run the panel quite nicely. If you keep it plugged into AC power it puts out enough to power everthing but the landing lights and strobes.

Keith
RV9A (flying)
N355RV

Back