What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove locking fuel caps

FL Flier

My -8A has the Newton locking fuel caps. I don’t have any need for locks, and would just as soon go with the standard caps - they came with the plane. (Plus it’s just one step in making the plane the way I want it. Gotta change stuff every now and then, right?)

It looks like the bezel for the Newton caps is glued in place. Is that correct? What is involved in removing them?

My -8A has the Newton locking fuel caps. I don’t have any need for locks, and would just as soon go with the standard caps - they came with the plane. (Plus it’s just one step in making the plane the way I want it. Gotta change stuff every now and then, right?)

It looks like the bezel for the Newton caps is glued in place. Is that correct? What is involved in removing them?

Really? The Newton are considered an upgrade.. the original caps work. But after a while, they aren’t that great.. I believe the inserts you want to remove are glued in with proseal. Good luck with removing them!!

Another opinion

My recommendation is to keep the Newton caps - especially if you have the Aero ones. I have the standard Usher caps on my RV-7 and the Newton Aero 300 caps on the RV-10 - and the Newton caps are far superior. You don't need tools to pry them open. Had the Newton caps on all of our Diamond planes too.

If you don't like the locking feature, you should be able to get replacements that don't have the locks.

Back