What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engraving infill options?

gfb

Well Known Member
I will be powder coating my panel, and then laser engraving the labels. Trying to figure out what to use for the infill color? Also, do I need to apply an additional coating over the top of that?

Thx!

The laser can't/won't remove any of the metal.....it will just remove the powder coating to expose the raw aluminum underneath. FYI....If the powder coat color isn't a contrasting color to the the color of aluminum, then your text will be hard to read. If the powder coat is thick enough, then there will be some depth to infill, however several passes will have to be made on the laser engraver to uniformly remove all of the thick powder coat and the surrounding powder coat will have to be masked to protect from smoke damage from removing the thick(er) powder coat layer.

If you want to infill, then the text will have to be cut into the metal, either before or after powder coating.

Anodizing the panel and then laser engraving the labels looks better in my opinion, but the cost is higher.

Both powder coat and anodizing locks you into the text and graphics.......you cannot re-label or change something once it's done.

Hope this helps.

Back