What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build books recommendations

SkyFlorida

I've been reading through Van's build manual and there's a list of books they recommend. Being new to the build process and having only a light auto mechanics background, I want to make sure I educate myself as much as possible.

Have any of you found any of the following books particularly helpful? Thanks.

Aircraft Sheet Metal Construction and Repair
Sheet Metal Vol #1
The Sportplane Builder
Sportplane Construction Techniques
Building the Metal Airplane
Light Airplane Construction
Standard Aircraft Handbook

I mainly listed the books that would help during empennage and early stages. Other recommended books are welcome as well.

cheers.

I would agree with getting AC43.13. It's the reference that FSDO or your DAR will use to see if your work meets the standard. It's a reference manual, not necessarily a how-to guide. However it does illustrate the correct way and usually includes incorrect way of doing many tasks involved in the build.

Another reference guide I would recommend is the AeroElectric Connection. You may not use one of Bob's sample schematics (I didn't), but the chapters will help you understand the concepts better when it gets time to make decisions on your electrical system.

I have several of the other books you mentioned, but these are the two I used the most during my build. The reference material that Vans provided in the RV-10 manual was good too. I can't comment on the other model manuals since I haven't seen them, but I suspect that Vans would include the same in all.

27 years of RVs is also a good read. It's a collection of articles from the Vans newsletters over the years. It's somewhat dated, but I found the articles interesting to read and learned a few tips and tricks.

Back