What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim Tab Hinge

Badger1220

Well has all things go after reading and studying the elevator trim tab assembly, I ended up messing the hinge alignment up. So I ordered a new trim tab hinge and spar. So today I am working on the new tab, I noticed that the two hinges have different part numbers.

New hinge is stamped MS20257-2 which measures 1 inche wide. The old hinge which came with the tail kit is stamped MS20257-3 which measures 1-1/4 inches wide.

My question is which one is correct or are both acceptable widths?

Last edited:
Mike, dont know if all models use the same hinge material, so I moved this to the 8 forum--------that way you should get correct answers.

Hinge

Michael,

I just had a look at mine, they are the -3 (1 1/4"). My guess is that for the trim tab a smaller hinge should be OK if you still have the correct edge distance for your rivet holes after matching it to existing holes you might already have.

VANS AIRCRAFT are very good with giving replies with 24 hours....don't be afraid to ask them

Peter

Hinge

Michael,

I just had a look at mine, they are the -3 (1 1/4"). My guess is that for the trim tab a smaller hinge should be OK if you still have the correct edge distance for your rivet holes after matching it to existing holes you might already have.

VANS AIRCRAFT are very good with giving replies with 24 hours....don't be afraid to ask them

Peter

Yes...

When I messed up my trim tab and hinge... and ordered another one of each, I noticed the same thing (that the hinge/hinge part numbers were different). I remade my trim tab and the new hinge worked perfectly...so build on my friend.:)

Getting ready to start my trim tab next week and I'm hearing that "messed up my trim tab" story a lot. Yikes.

Back