What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altitude Hold RV-12

Stan Bahrns

I haven't read the book but am having an issue with the autopilot searching around for the altitude that I started off with. It gets worse with oscillation's
any advice besides reading the book?

D180 or Skyview? Software version? More info needed. FWIW, in the D-180 implementation there are bunch of parameters that can be adjusted. All in "the book". Once you get all the the tweaks done I think you will be pleased with the stability.

You can change the settings for the pitch servo in the settings. Maybe just play with them a little bit to get it where it feels good.

Read the books! Dynon offers both general Skyview install/operations manuals and a separate autopilot set-up manual. Follow their AP tweaking procedures.

I haven't read the book but am having an issue with the autopilot searching around for the altitude that I started off with. It gets worse with oscillation's
any advice besides reading the book?
Mine hunted around quite a bit in altitude hold. Others have mentioned the availability of a tuning guide, but the quick fix for mine was to lower the 'gain' value in the autopilot settings.

Dave,

My D180 pulses the stick at about 1 Hz. Not enough to porpoise but annoying. Did the gain reduction eliminate that on your AP?

Rich

Dave,

My D180 pulses the stick at about 1 Hz. Not enough to porpoise but annoying. Did the gain reduction eliminate that on your AP?

Rich
I don't think so. Seems like I've notices that there's always some kind of 'feel' in the stick when the AP is on and your description of it fits my memory of it. Almost a clicking kind of thing. I've can't say for sure if it's always there, but I do notice it from time to time.

I had this oscillation issue too while others reported good performance. I tried tuning it a bit but didn't get it satisfactory. Eventually I looked at my values and compared them to the published default values (you find them in the tuning guide) and they were all ways off, even the ones I had never touched. I suspect that my unit was once installed in a different airplane and got refurbished and sent to me (hey, after my previous various experiences with Dynon this would not surprise me at all). I reset the settings to default values and have a much better performing system since. I still disable the autopilot when the air is rough but that might just be me preferring direct control under such conditions.

Back