-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 PM

Default Flame suit on.... just bought an engine.

So here it is... 13b (turrentine build with streetport work I think) and Tracy Crooks' EC2 and RD1B PSRU

I won't be able to do anything with it for a while as I'm waiting for a fuselage kit, but I'm jazzed just the same

I've got to brush up on my TIG skills for the mount though. Has anybody got any experience with buying partial mounts from the subcontractors that Van's uses?

RV7 SB in construction
Avionics, Wiring, FWF, interior, and paint to go.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instructor_bill View Post
So here it is... 13b (turrentine build with streetport work I think) and Tracy Crooks' EC2 and RD1B PSRU

I won't be able to do anything with it for a while as I'm waiting for a fuselage kit, but I'm jazzed just the same

I've got to brush up on my TIG skills for the mount though. Has anybody got any experience with buying partial mounts from the subcontractors that Van's uses?
Been there, done that with a rotary. Same set-up as yours on a pusher. Do yourself a favor and cut your losses now and put a real airplane motor in your project. In the end,,,,you aren't saving any money,,,will be "tinkering" forever, and the bottom line is your plane is pretty much worthless on resale value. Like I said,,,,I have been down that road. Someone has a Subaru powered plane for sale on the forum right now. He will be really lucky to find someone even consider buying it at value LESS the engine set-up costs.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Like you said - hope the flame suit has a good collar.

Have fun building the airplane you want!
jrhodes@v1salesmgt.com
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
Been there, done that with a rotary. Same set-up as yours on a pusher.
If you put the SAME setup as a tractor on an airplane that is a pusher, I can see why you might have had some trouble... ;-)

-Dj
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Thumbs down Cognitive dissonance alert.

Is it too late to stop payment on the check? Do yourself a favor and put a Lycoming in your project. Is this a money issue?....I would never fly that engine A. With a family member. B . At night. C. IFR. D. Over harsh terrain.

Why work on a quality project for 1000s of hours and hard earned cash and install a modified car engine.? Who's going to buy that airplane from you?

Nobody.

Talk to people who have done the learning curve ($) already and follow their advice.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej View Post
If you put the SAME setup as a tractor on an airplane that is a pusher, I can see why you might have had some trouble... ;-)

-Dj
What are you talking about ? The motor does not know if its in front or in back of the plane.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instructor_bill View Post
Hi Bill,
I applaud you for standing up and making the choice for yourself. Best of luck building your dream machine! Please keep us posted on your progress.

-Dj
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Bill,

Congrats on your engine purchase.

My buisness partner has one in his RV-6A and has only had three engine stoppages in flight. Each time he has made an airport. I think he has more RV glider time than anyone.

He will be the first to tell you that if you like to fly buy a Lycoming but if you like to tinker, buy an auto conversion and if you like rotories, buy good muffler.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Talking I almost did the same...

but realized it would add a year to my build time, reduce resale and be less safe, and likely would not actually cost less. Great little engine the 13B, I have rebuild three of them myself, porting them, etc. Good luck with your project, and be safe! Post pictures of your FWF and get as many eyes on it as possible before you fly.

Hans
Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Bill - I am going to do you the courtesy of assuming that you have already read all of the warnings, educated yourself on the pros and cons, and made the decision based on what you want to do you with your project - and offer congratulations on making your choice!

Anytime someone feels they need to put a flame suit on before they post on VAF, it is a sad commentary on the civility of the place. It bothers me when anonymous critics chase people away from VAF with their negativity. I hope that everyone working on Alt Engines will contribute their experiences (good and bad), what they discover that works, what they find that doesn't work, and how things turn out.

Too many "Alt Eng" types with vast amounts of experience have left this forum and taken the valuable contributions with them. I hope they come back some day.

Paul (definitely NOT an "Alt Eng" guy, but open to all who wish to contribute)
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 04-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Closed Thread