Home > VansAirForceForums

-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Webb's Avatar
Webb Webb is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 1,262
Default Was anyone flying on 9-11-2001?

With that other thread about the whoops TFR - it makes me wonder......Were any of you airbourne when 9-11 happened?

If so, did you immediately land? Were you forced to divert if on a flight? Were you allowed to destination? How long before you could fly again? How did ATC handle you? etc......
Webb Willmott
Jackson, MS
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Bob Axsom Bob Axsom is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,685
Default Not Quite

I had my engine running in my tiedown spot to go to work and I was advised that all air traffic was being grounded in the entire US. They did not know when the situation would change so I shut down and drove to work. When I got there they had closed the Lab but since we had a mission flying I was allowed in. As I recall it was around a week before I could start flying again.

Bob Axsom
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM
rvn817j's Avatar
rvn817j rvn817j is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burnsville / Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 111
Default In Leesburg, VA on 09/11/2001

There was NO FLYING at KJYO and a number of other Washington, DC area airports for about one year. Three (3) months after 09/11/2001 flights out of KJYO were permitted for a day or two (2) and I was able to re-locate my plane to KOKV (which was outside the "no fly" zone). Special procedures in this area still make it challenging to fly within this area. Don't fly in or around the DC SFRA unless you have taken the required FAA training.
Jay at KLVN
RV8 N817J
Airworthiness Cert. 10/99
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
f1rocket's Avatar
f1rocket f1rocket is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Martinsville, IN
Posts: 2,332

My sister-in law just departed on a Continental flight at 9:15 AM that morning from Indy to Memphis. They continued on to Memphis as planned. Not sure when the order was issued but it's only a 45 minute flight.
Randy Pflanzer
Greenwood, IN
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
bamajenk bamajenk is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 17

I wasn't flying that day, but I do remember how QUIET the skies were.

At any given time, I can see/hear several planes or helicopters. I live close to 2 GA airports, McChord AFB, and we're on the flight path for Sea-Tac. Most people don't realize how many aircraft operate on a daily basis...I didn't, until it all shut down for a week after 9/ silence that week.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
the_other_dougreeves the_other_dougreeves is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, TX (ADS)
Posts: 2,180

I was scheduled DFW-PDX on an AA MD80 2030 that evening... obviously didn't make it. I did fly out DFW-PDX on 9/13 ... DFW was a ghost town except for lots of LEOs. About 40 pax on the MD80. A very strange scene.

Doug "The Other Doug Reeves" Reeves
CTSW N621CT - SOLD but not forgotten
Home Bases LBX, BZN
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM
scottg scottg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 54

It was my leg on an ACA DO-328 from CMH to LGA that morning. The nose gear was being chocked as the plane hit the first tower. So I was flying up the Hudson as those SOBs were flying down it.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 PM
victor's Avatar
victor victor is offline
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 82
Default 9-11-01

I was on a commercial flight from Tampa to Salt Lake City via Phoenix, half way across the the Gulf of Mexico, when the pilot got the word to land asap. We landed in Houston,and couldn't leave for three days. TPA didn't have proper security for over a week, so no flights back home. Not enjoying Houston, chose to go on to Phoenix, but all flights to SLC cancelled. Had only two choices from the airline; go to San Diego or Reno. Went to Reno. Town empty. Hotels and casinos open but empty. Reno air races cancelled. Everybody numb.

Finally, after 5 days, able to fly back to Tampa, on a plane with 11 people on board.

I hate being stranded, away from home, and can imagine having a problem with the RV (flat tire, engine problem, etc) at some remote strip (maybe Idaho) and no tools or help to be had. I would venture to say many VAF RV pilots would fly 100 miles to lend a hand and help.
Vance Noles (vaf#139)
RV7-A qb @ 100%-58hrs
TMX-IO360, Hart CS,
IFR, Tru-Trak ap,

Bradenton, Florida
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM
rich rich is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 180
Default ground stop

Here in TX. under the DFW Class B air space there were no flights at all for 2 weeks. The only way to fly was to file a flight plan out and file back in to class B.
There was one other way to fly and that was with an instructor.
So the students could fly any time. Made a lot of pilots very hot.
I did my first flight 2 weeks prior and was in my phase 1 testing.
I know of several RVer's that got stranded.
Rich Rudolph
RV6A 2000 HRS.
Fort Worth,Tx.
Wright Brothers “Master Pilot” Award
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM
PJSeipel PJSeipel is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albany, GA for the moment
Posts: 294

I was a student pilot doing some early morning flying over Yuma, AZ. Tower didn't usually open until 0800; they opened early that morning, told me the airspace was closed and asked me to land. Being as KYUM is also MCAS Yuma, I figured they had an early launch, so I landed and went into work. It wasn't until I drove through the front gate and the Marine on gate duty told me what was going on that I had any idea.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.

The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.