Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Problem contacting Avery - rusted clecos

I'm trying to contact Avery... I bought a RV tool kit in October and I just found out I had a bunch of rusted clecos... All the tools were is perfect working order... I'm really satisfied by my purchase except for the clecos.

Sent them an email on the 16th... sent another one on the 21st... still no answer.

Are they on vacation or something? Anyone having issues contacting them?

EDIT : Read my last post, they were having problems with their mail system.
Construction Web Cam

Last edited by llavalle : 01-21-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: issue resolved.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM
unfluencer

Give 'em a call: 1.800.OK.AVERY.

I talked with them today.

b,
d
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Rusted Clecos

I'm sure that Bob will replace them for you. I wouldn't worry about them though; They're going to rust in your shop over your build time anyway. Mine did.

Six years later, I use them for odd jobs or helping the local FBO on a repair and they still work fine.

I give 'em a good squirt of LPS-2 every year or so

I know-----When you buy new tools, you want them to be nice and shiney!
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 PM

If you're anywhere near the coast, your cleco's are going to rust. Mine are rusty as heck. They still hold the parts together though and aside from getting your hands a little dirty as you handle them, they work just fine.

Just my experience/perspective, and I understand that you bought new cleco's and expect them to be in new condition. Avery are good people and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSeipel View Post
If you're anywhere near the coast, your cleco's are going to rust. Mine are rusty as heck. They still hold the parts together though and aside from getting your hands a little dirty as you handle them, they work just fine.

Just my experience/perspective, and I understand that you bought new cleco's and expect them to be in new condition. Avery are good people and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
They will also rust quickly if you keep pool chemicals anywhere near them.
Savannah, GA and Ridgeland, SC
Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM

I bought mine in 1981 and they are not rusty yet
Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Talking

Alright, thanks for the replies...

I don't live near the coast and the pool chemicals are not in the garage

I don't think they rusted here. I bought a tool kit that came with 125 1/8, they are fine. It also came with 2 other sizes and they are fine too.

The kit came with 325 3/32 clecos. 1 small bag of 25 + 3 boxes of 100ea. the bag is fine and 2 of the boxes are also OK. Only 1 box contained rusted clecos.

I'll wait another week for the email then give them a call. I prefer the emails because I don't have to call from the office... and also because my first language is not english. My spoken english is far from perfect and since they are in Texas... I supposed they are a bit harder to understand
Construction Web Cam
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM

I've got so many clecos I'm still trying to find out where they all come from. I even have one can that's still 'brand new'. Every time I start a new project I always say that "I'll use the new ones" but never do....I guess I'm 'attached' (pun intended) to my old ones. Many of my clecos have all clumps of epoxy on 'em, various splashes of primer, overspray, and other 'stuff' and they still work great. Truth is....I've used each one so many times now that it reminds me of the farmer down the street when I was a kid. All those hundreds of cows looked the same to me but he knew them ALL by name. I recognize each one of my clecos as I take it out of the bucket....."oh...you again" .

Back to your post....of course, you paid for NEW clecos and they shouldn't have any rust on them.....I'm sure the Avery's will take care of you....they don't come any better than those folks. That said.....(having been there done that) I wouldn't bother returning them.....too much trouble . Looks like you could take a little brass toothbrush and clean 'em right up if you feel the need??

The quote I copied below had me rolling on the floor.....you've got a great sense of humor.....I can't understand those longhorns either .

Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llavalle View Post
My spoken english is far from perfect and since they are in Texas... I supposed they are a bit harder to understand

BRONZE, SILVER & GOLD LINDY AWARD WINNING RV's & Rockets

EAA Oshkosh Homebuilt Judge/Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor FAST Formation Flight Lead

Kitfox/RV4/6/7/8/9/10/12/14
6 RV10's
2 Time SunínFun Grand Champion
F1 Rocket #1 Oshkosh Gold Lindy Grand Champion!
F1 Rocket #2
Fastback RV8 Slider
RV14 #2 flying
RV10 #7 in progress

55 RV's & Rockets

WW Prop Dealer

Love my Pitts S1S
Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Rant Alert

This thread is not about clecos , its about customer service in the modern age.

I for one think that if a business publishes an email address, THEY SHOULD CHECK IT AND RESPOND IN A TIMELY MANNER. Not all of us can do business during normal business hours - that's why email works so well (at least with those businesses that check their email). Why do some businesses think they have to answer the phone by the 4th ring but they can wait one or two weeks to get back to you by email??? I just don't get it. If they aren't willing to respond in a timely manner, They shouldn't publish an email address. That simple.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men? for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Phillip, give them a call. Their daughter in law is French and their son speaks fluent French also. Both work in the business. Ask for Mimi or Ken or write them an e-mail in French.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
Helping out at the Avery Booth a Sun and Fun and Oshkosh
Closed Thread