- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 PM

Default amateur built?

i am considering a rv project,maybe 75% done. builder passed on.left no build records or photos or receipts. can this project be completed and get an amateur built experimental airworthiness certificate? or is it for always just a project,a collection of aircraft parts? (no way to prove amateur built) thanks in advance for any replys.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 AM

Default re: 51%?

Who knows what 51% really is? It's not spelled out specifically anywhere, as far as I can see. 51% of the work for me may not be that much work for you.
51% is a relative number.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/cabin/panel
Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 AM

As long as he was an amateur, then 51% of it is amateur built. You shouldn't have any trouble getting an airworthiness certificate. The repairmans certificate might be a challenge, however.

PJ Seipel
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM

http://members.eaa.org/home/ehotline/031017.html

The only way an aircraft can be certificated as an experimental, amateur-built aircraft is if the owner/builders can prove that they built (at least) 51 percent of the aircraft. That is the basic qualifier for an amateur-built aircraft. Any given experimental amateur-built aircraft may go through several different builders through its building process - but the total cumulative build must be 51% owner(s)/builder(s).
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM

Default talk to a dar

i asked mel about this once in a private message on this site and it seems this may not necessarily be an orphan. if you can talk to family members etc. who witnessed the former builder building and are willing to give sworn statements to that effect it may be useful. they are after all trying to sell it so you have some leverage. then again this may be wishful thinking on my part but it would be wise to talk to your dar about it specifically before you spent money on it.
best of luck
leon
Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Man View Post
Who knows what 51% really is? It's not spelled out specifically anywhere, as far as I can see. 51% of the work for me may not be that much work for you.
The FAA has form AC 8000-38 that is used as a checklist to determine compliance for the major portion (51%) rule. In the FAA's eyes this is what spells out that relative #. The FAA is at this moment in the process of rewriting AC8000-38 so it is likely that things will change.

As for certifying this project as amateur built...I agree with other posts...get every thing you can to help prove no work was done professionally. Best situation would be to develop a relationship with a DAR and have them feel assured ahead of time that all previous work was not done for hire.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-11-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Man View Post

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/cabin/panel

This is a joke, right?
Saucier MS