- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:09 PM

Default ďAĒ model resale

First let me say Merry Christmas to everyone.
Iím a new guy looking at an RV to purchase.
My personal, preference is conventional gear, well because a nose wheel is unconventional, and I have way more tailwheel time than tricycle gear. however at looking at used RVís for sale it seems there are more nose draggers for sale than tail wheels.
So I got to looking, even though I prefer the little wheel behind me, there is nothing wrong with it up front and honestly when itís a gusty crosswind, Iím not so stressed on short final is a tricycle airplane. So for the right price, and the right airplane, I can overlook where the steering wheel is.

But as I am beginning my learning process in educating myself about the RV world, it seems that there have been a large number of nose gear collapses, and when they do collapse it seems they almost always go over on their back, with serious consequences.

So Iím not at all wanting to start an argument about something that has likely has been beaten to death already, before my time.

But has this seemingly high incidence of accidents affected resale? Is this why so many nose draggers seem to be for sale?
Have the nose gear always been collapsing, is this a recent phenomena?

What is the ratio of ďAĒ models to straight aircraft? Are there more ďAísĒ than tail draggers?

Now to be blunt,I think Icsn be safe with one, I have quite a few hours in a C-210 and lots of grass strips. and just got used to always landing nose high on the mains and letting the nose down gently on roll out.

But I donít want to buy a aircraft that may lose a lot of value and or
Old 12-25-2020, 05:22 PM

I would guess there are just more A models than not which is why they are more represented in for sale ads.

I doubt an A model depreciates any faster than a conventional gear model. IF there was a discount to be put on an A model (which I don't think there is), it would be accounted for in the sale price. There are far greater aspects that drive price than landing gear configuration.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A64Pilot View Post
Have the nose gear always been collapsing, is this a recent phenomena?
or
When I decided taildragger in 2005 part of the reason was, in fact, that there just happened to be a lot of nosewheel flips in the news that year.

However, since then, a very sustained effort directed toward encouraging transition training plus a few aftermarket nose gear mods (and factory nose gear redesigns for some of the later models) have seen these mishaps come down in frequency it seems.

Although I’m very glad I decided to go tailwheel (for a whole bunch of reasons), I don’t think you’d go wrong with a nosewheel, nor will demand likely go down since there are so many more pilots who only know nosewheel aircraft.

Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 12-25-2020, 05:59 PM

I know us tailwheel types are a rare breed, but it seems the better deals are of nose wheels, they donít seem to bring as high a price, and I expected the opposite of course, as most donít have tailwheel experience.
Now realize Iíve only been looking for a month or so, so it could well be just this months offerings are not usual, you canít necessarily determine something with just one or a few data samples.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A64Pilot View Post
So for the right price, and the right airplane, I can overlook where the steering wheel is.

But as I am beginning my learning process in educating myself about the RV world, it seems that there have been a large number of nose gear collapses, and when they do collapse it seems they almost always go over on their back, with serious consequences.
Please to explain "steering wheel." Are you not aware that all RVs use differential breaking for ground steering?

Your assertion on flip over is equally accurate, meaning, not at all.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Are you not aware that all RVs use differential breaking [sic] for ground steering?
Well, I'm not aware of that. My RV-4 and RV-8 had steerable tailwheels, so brakes were not needed for normal steering. Sharp turns, yes, and taxiiing in strong crosswinds, yes, but not for normal steering.

On my RV-8A and RV-9A, with any amount of airflow over the rudder, brakes are not needed for normal steering. Sharp turns, yes, and taxiiing in crosswinds, yes, but not for normal steering.

Granted, almost all of my RV flying has been on pavement. Don't know what difference grass would make, if any.
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 12-25-2020, 06:48 PM

Default why I went nose dragger

I've owned two tail wheel planes over the past 30 years, a Bellanca Cruisair purchased in 1991 and still have; and a J-3 Cub from 2014 to 2017. With about 60% of my total time in tail-wheels.

I do like the looks of an -14 both on the ground and in the air more than the -14A, I like how tail wheel piston airplanes look.

Counterpoint > the -14A has a good bit more forward visibility while taxiing, not worried about the -14A nose gear structure, the insurance is generally a bit less for a nose wheel, when I get ready to hang up my headset it might sell faster.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195, Start 10/11/14
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 12-25-2020, 06:58 PM

I don't have any stats on RV accidents but I'd really be surprised if the tailwheels had a lower accident rate than the trike gear...that would certainly go against what's going on in the rest of the aviation world.. I guess all youd have to do would be compare the insurance rates and the checkout times required. Having said that ...the RV tailwheels are some of the easiest to fly so i guess insurance rates would tell the tale.

I think accidents on landing are almost always pilot error so i wouldn't be blaming the aircraft ....better pilot techniques are where you should be looking.

If you tend to like rougher landing strips tailwheel is of course a better choice but small tires at high pressure and extremely tight wheel pants are not the best choice no matter the gear design.

Personally if your flying skills are decent i honestly can't imagine I'd be making a choice of trike gear vs conventional gear to avoid a tip over...
Old 12-25-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolivi View Post
Please to explain "steering wheel." Are you not aware that all RVs use differential breaking for ground steering?

Your assertion on flip over is equally accurate, meaning, not at all.
I think by “steering wheel”, he didn’t mean the planes have a tiller, but he was describing the location of the third wheel that steers. I would have used the terms “training wheel vs tailwheel”. (Ducking for cover) Another term for a nosewheel on an RV is a pole vault. (Still ducking)

BTW, tailwheel don’t use differential brakes as a primary steering.. they have springs connecting the third wheel to the rudder. Brakes are more for tight turns and maybe emergency in case it tries to get away from you.

Wings Started.. 11-2020

Last edited by Taltruda : 12-25-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:10 PM

I have a tailwheel endorsement and many hours in such, but never particularly cared for the concept. That, plus a conversation with my insurance broker....tail wheel was off the table for me as I was looking to buy an RV.