- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Dynon vs TruTrak AP

I have a non-touch AFS 5600 that I need to add an autopilot to the panel. I am in the “panel” portion of the built, not a flying airplane. My initial thought was to use the TruTrak Gemini AP thru the ARINC adaptor. The plane will have a remote mount Val NAV 2KR. I was not intending on installing an IFR navigator and only use the GPS off the AFS system. I’m trying to decide if I should upgrade the 5600 (probably $2k) and buy Dynon servos and control head, or just buy the TruTrak. As I have never flown an AP before, I’m not sure if one AP is more capable than the other. I do want the ability to use the AP to fly approaches.

Last edited by R7237 : 05-16-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Just an opinion, but

although I have a 5600T and a Vizion 385 that just work wonderfully, since you have not committed to servos yet, I would just go with the AFS/DYNON system -- the integration would be very smooth and Rob and the Dynon folks would be a great resource.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 05-16-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post
although I have a 5600T and a Vizion 385 that just work wonderfully, since you have not committed to servos yet, I would just go with the AFS/DYNON system -- the integration would be very smooth and Rob and the Dynon folks would be a great resource.

Ron
Ditto to Ron's comment.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:42 PM

The ?integrated? autopilots work well, and tend to be about $1K cheaper than the stand alone ones. But, for actual IMC work, the stand-alone units do offer an additional layer of backup. Up to you to decide.
BTW, don?t overlook Trio. They make a great autopilot.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The ‘integrated’ autopilots work well, and tend to be about $1K cheaper than the stand alone ones. But, for actual IMC work, the stand-alone units do offer an additional layer of backup. Up to you to decide.
BTW, don’t overlook Trio. They make a great autopilot.
Servos on the Sv-network (Dynon/AFS), you can move the Master EFIS pretty quickly should the PFD fail. There are also a couple other minor advantages over the Trutrak heads.

My Vizion and servos, as well as a Gemini PFD May be up for sale shortly.

Last edited by rleffler : 05-16-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Servos on the Sv-network (Dynon/AFS), you can move the Master EFIS pretty quickly should the PFD fail. There are also a couple other minor advantages advantages over the Trutrak heads.

My Vizion and servos, as well as a Gemini PFD May be up for sale shortly.
If it helps you, I would be in the market for them. That would be a nice setup for me. Guessing your upgrade is due to a touch upgrade?
Old 05-16-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Servos on the Sv-network (Dynon/AFS), you can move the Master EFIS pretty quickly should the PFD fail. There are also a couple other minor advantages over the Trutrak heads.
You're correct: part of the $$/risk equation is that a second EFIS or air-data computer can be similar to the cost differential for a self-contained autopilot. Some different failure modes to be considered. But it appeared to me that the OP is talking about a single EFIS, so a non-integrated autopilot does mitigate against some, but not all, failure modes. OTOH since he specifically stated that he is not interested in a TSO'd gps navigator, all approved approaches (VOR/ILS) have to go thru his EFIS to drive his autopilot, be it a Dynon, Gemini, or Trio. Bottom line: For IFR work, the entire system - redundancies, backups, failure modes - needs to evaluated to see if it is with in the PIC's tolerance for risk.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

A few years back, I had a failure in one of my first gen GRT screens-----the one that drove the A/P.

I lost the ability to follow a GPS driven course, but the internal magician inside the TruTrak head would still hold altitude and heading.

Just something to consider.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 PM

I have the vizion 385 autopilot, it is rock solid and it flies a beautiful approach. The only way it will get removed is that i totally lose my mind and redo the panel with an all garmin g3x setup.
Harmon Rocket #1
IO-540
10-1 pistons

1959 Piper PA22-150 Tri-Pacer

Rv7a sold
Rv6 sold
Rv4 sold
Rv3 sold
Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 AM

One very nice thing about having an integrated AP is that it knows what your attitude is and can right the plane, should you engage it after an upset.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html