- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Angry Disaster!

So, today was supposed to be a great day - move the aircraft to the hangar for final assembly. A colleague loaned me a trailer but, unfortunately, it wasn't quite wide enough. So, I decided to take off one gear leg and build a dolly to transport it. It worked out really well until we were half way up the trailer. At that stage, we had to remove the dolly because of the geometry with the trailer ramp. I had some big strong boys so we thought we could support the weight temporarily. Unfortunately, as we moved the aircraft up the trailer, it tipped back suddenly under the weight and we lost control. The aircraft tipped off the side of the trailer and ended up on its side in the driveway.

I was just speechless - my beautiful fuselage dead in my drive......

With an engine hoist, we managed to get it back upright and with more care and support got it on the trailer and to the airport.

So what was the damage?

- Left step slightly bent - easily fixable provided the underlying structure hasn't been bent
- Some scuffing on the left door Perspex - should polish out OK
- One rocker cover bent - new one OK provided it hasn't damaged the valve gear underneath
- Worst looking is the front fuselage skin behind the lower engine mount. An area about 6" by 4" is buckled. Looking at it, I don't think the underlying structure is damaged (probably one of the strongest parts of the aircraft). If so, I should be able to splice in some new skin with a doubler.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse. We managed to control the fall and it more sort of rolled off rather than dropped. I have had a couple of stiff drinks and will go back tomorrow to check it out closer and make sure I haven't missed any other damage.

So, beware. When you move your aircraft, it is a lot heavier and more cumbersome than you think. Make sure everything in chocked and blocked so it can't move. Don't think you can support anything by hand however strong your team. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I have today.
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 06-02-2013, 03:16 PM

I do not drink, but if that happened to me probably I would start. Hopefully it will not be so bad and you'll get it fixed soon.
AirCam flying
Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear this Paul. I have been thinking about my move to the airport which should be within 3 weeks. Deciding whether to use a trailer like we did with the Cozy MKIV or hire a flatbed wrecker with a winch and rolling/tilting bed. Flatbed it is. Doesn't sound like your damages were too bad though so be grateful for that. Its a setback for sure but you will be more determined than ever now to get it done.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
The aircraft tipped off the side of the trailer and ended up on its side in the driveway.
Oh my, I'm so sorry Paul. I'm glad you didn't include a picture, because the one I have in my mind is haunting enough. Like Ron, I don't drink, but I'm spooked enough by your story that I'm tempted to take it up on your behalf!

--
Stephen
Old 06-02-2013, 04:08 PM

So sorry, I will have a drink with you, thank you for the warning.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
I do not drink, but if that happened to me probably I would start. Hopefully it will not be so bad and you'll get it fixed soon.
I don't either, but I'm thinking about taking it up after the story....
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Default lower longerons?

Oh that's a bummer. I can see how things would go quickly from all fine to disaster. And who knows how many of us have narrowly escaped similar fate.

If the skin buckled near the firewall, please inspect carefully the longerons. They are very critical, and easily bent by side impacts. Might need to replace whole fwd-lower longeron?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Disaster

Sorry for your loss. I felt sick just reading it .
Tom
2017 donation paid
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM

When I was putting my wings on, a gust came and started to blow one of the wings off the rack... I caught it just in time. I feel for you man.
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
If the skin buckled near the firewall, please inspect carefully the longerons. They are very critical, and easily bent by side impacts. Might need to replace whole fwd-lower longeron?
Thanks. I realize the importance of the lower longeron and am really hoping it isn't damaged. Replacing that would be a huge job. As I said, it didn't take a big impact and it looks like the skin has just crumpled around the longeron when the curved bottom corner contacted the ground. I'll know more in a few hours when, instead of fitting the HS/VS and wings, I'll be de-riveting and cutting away the skin.............
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made