camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Adam, welcome to the good ship VAF.

I will second what Ernst said, just get rid of the plastic when you start on a part.

As to the 10 itself, my wife just loves ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N427EF View Post
There is no reason whatsoever to not pull that annoying blue plastic off just as soon as you need the part or sooner. The longer you leave it on the more of a pain it becomes to pull it off.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM

I went to all the work to take the plastic off over the rivet lines throughout the whole tailcone. By the time I was on the fuse, I noted that the rest of the plastic was peeling around the edges and would catch aluminum shavings and create potential for scratching. I took it all off shortly thereafter. If I was going to polish the plane, it might make a difference, but maybe not. I'll probably have the slowest built RV-10 anyway with all my deployments and cross-country moves. I'd say take it all off as you do each part; I have no corrosion and only a couple minor scratches and I've had this thing on both coasts and several places in between with over 10,000 highway miles on it.

I have, however, primed every interior part with AKZO 2-part epoxy primer.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
Albany, GA
Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Adam,
Congratulation on getting started on a great airplane.
If your wife is excited about the build she'll be in love with the airplane once the 10 is finished and flying.
After having built and flown a RV-8 for many years and not getting my wife overly excited about flying in the back seat, she loves to fly in the RV-10.

As to your building question:
There is no reason whatsoever to not pull that annoying blue plastic off just as soon as you need the part or sooner. The longer you leave it on the more of a pain it becomes to pull it off.
Whether you prime or not has no bearing on pulling the plastic off. Once you are ready for a paint job the entire airplane will need to be "scratched up"
with scotch brite before applying primer.

In a nut shell I would encourage you to be efficient in your build and not get bogged down on unnecessary steps in the construction process.
Stick to the plans and you can get that airplane done before too long.
I second Ernst's recommendation. I striped mine and five years later I had some surface corrosion along the edges of the blue film. They turn out to be real dirt collectors,,which in turn holds moisture.

If I was building again I would remove all the blue film the first time I touch the piece. Your painter is likely to scuff the surfaces anyways, so don't worry about a few scratches.

Bob
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM

I like to wash and etch with Krud Kutter Metal Prep, then prime with Stewart Systems Ekoprime. It's water-based so you don't have the horrible fumes and toxicity. Use a Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer.

I strongly recommend priming all over. Got to see a Rocket undergoing its condition inspection a few months ago that had been primed only on mating surfaces; there was significant corrosion on the unprimed parts of the skins inside the aft fuselage.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
"clean with dawn dishsoap
acid etch
spray with SEM EZCoat."

If you are using a Self Etching Primer, why go to the trouble to acid etch?
i was advise by several on here, as well as 3 different autobody shops that even that the self etch primers have acid in it, its not the greatest for aluminum and i was better off performing a secondary etching.
RV-10 #41517
N484DK (Reserved)
http://rv10.daviid.net
Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Almost finished with my empennage build after more than a year at it. Good to hear I'm not the only one who pulled off all the blue wrapping from the get go. I started out doing the soldering iron thing on the VS and shortly there after said to self, why am I doing this?

I began priming with 2 part AKZO primer on the inside only and thought as long as I'm priming, I may as well do the outside too. I did an adhesion test on Alodined vs plain scuffed Alclad and found no difference. Survives the occasional forgotten dimple without chipping or peeling. Abrasion or stripper is the only way that primer will come off.

Mike
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Lots of great information, we have decided that we are going to prime the interior before we start building. We will remove the plastic and prime each exterior piece as we finish. That is sad to hear about the Rocket with corrosion, mine is not primed on the interior and I would be not happy to see that.

The wife and I did some practice riveting this afternoon and she is feeling better about the project we have taken on. She still think that it is a lot of parts, good thing we did not get the whole thing at once.
2001 Rocket - 584JH
RV-10 - building
1CL2 Pontious airport
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Adam,
Congratulation on getting started on a great airplane.
If your wife is excited about the build she'll be in love with the airplane once the 10 is finished and flying.
After having built and flown a RV-8 for many years and not getting my wife overly excited about flying in the back seat, she loves to fly in the RV-10.

As to your building question:
Whether you prime or not has no bearing on pulling the plastic off. Once you are ready for a paint job the entire airplane will need to be "scratched up"
with scotch brite before applying primer.

In a nut shell I would encourage you to be efficient in your build and not get bogged down on unnecessary steps in the construction process.
Stick to the plans and you can get that airplane done before too long.
Ditto the above.

Keep it light if you want to haul four real people, full fuel and 15 lbs of baggage each. My wife, 13 & 10 yr old love ours.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Adam we are receiving our RV10 tail cone/empennage today!! My son and I are first time builders so we are excited and looking forward to getting the process started. However, we will also need as much help as we can get!!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Adam and Dana-----one part at a time--Alot of small parts make a nice big plane!!
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com