- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Kevin Bandwagon

Though I posted my opinion to do it differently if I had to do it all over again (I probably wouldn't go with Tosten or Infinity because of aesthetics ), Kevin was awesome to work with and answered all of my dumb questions without hesitation.

If you you like the look and functionality of a military style stick then you can't go wrong with Kevin and the grips & service he provides!!
Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 PM

The dealbreaker for me was not being able to share a common ground wire on the switched outputs with the Infinity grips. I wanted to drill a hole in my copilot stick to pull the wires out to put through a Molex Microfit 3.0 connector, allowing me to easily remove the copilot stick, even though it has all the capabilities of the pilots stick. Tosten would allow me to use this common ground, which essentially halved the bundle size and greatly reduced the size of the hole required in the side of the stick. Ended up drilling a 5/16" hole. The only thing to watch with the RV-8 is panel clearance, as the head and buttons on the top of the stick adds a bit of bulk, which may mean your hand is too low down the stick with a stock panel height. This wasn't really an issue with the 7. The stick height is absolutely perfect after I trimmed off about 5.5" off the stick. In all, I absolutely love the Tosten Military stick. It's comfortable (put about a 20° twist on it to get your wrist angle right) and having the flaps and trim on the stick makes approaches a seamless experience, where you are not looking down inside the cockpit for control locations.
Good luck.
Tom.

Last edited by tgmillso : 12-16-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
The dealbreaker for me was not being able to share a common ground wire on the switched outputs with the Infinity grips.
Why couldn't you do that?
Old 12-17-2020, 05:07 AM

JD wouldn’t wire it for me that way due to his perceived redundancy risks. He may have changed his position since then, as this was 4 years ago. I called Tosten, asked if they would wire it the way I wanted, they said no worries and the rest is history.
Tom.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
JD wouldn’t wire it for me that way due to his perceived redundancy risks. He may have changed his position since then, as this was 4 years ago. I called Tosten, asked if they would wire it the way I wanted, they said no worries and the rest is history.
Tom.
No big deal, just tie the grounds at the other end of the harness. I have a single ground going the the connector, which one side has the grounds connected. While it may incur some risk, it also allows me to disable the all the switches with a single toggle switch when I’m flying Young Eagles or other youth in the seat.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:00 AM

I think its stupid that infinity brings out both sides of the switches, makes the wire bundle impossible to work with. I always end up cutting up thier pretty harness to gather all the grounds together so I can have a single ground wire exiting the grip. As far as installation goes infinity is the most difficult IMO, hard to get the height/angle/wiring just right, I tend to go with/recommend Tosten which is good quality and much easier install.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 12-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:05 PM

Red face Tosten CS-8 Peeling

I have had two Torsten CS-8s in my RV10 for a little over 3 year and 350 hours and am really happy with them but am curious if anyone else did the “soft touch” option and if it is peeling off?

My pilot side grip has been flaking off ~1in pieces of the outer covering for the last year or so. This isn’t a big deal and certainly doesn’t impact performance just makes a mess for you to clean up.

It is only one of my two grips that is flaking, but it is the one that I use most so it may be a lack of use that has allowed the covering on the co-pilot side to remain intact. Most likely I just got a grip from a bad lot but I haven’t heard anything from Torsten.

Still really like the grips despite this cosmetic issue.
~300hrs flying
Old 12-18-2020, 11:18 AM

When i put the infinity grip in my 4 i removed most of the grounds from the wure bundle so i could have a smaller hole in the stick. Just tied them together.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3 View Post
When i put the infinity grip in my 4 i removed most of the grounds from the wure bundle so i could have a smaller hole in the stick. Just tied them together.
The Infinity guy is also suffering from the misconception that you are not allowed to use higher than 22 gauge wire in an aircraft, leading to a massive wire bundle. No reason you couldn't use 24, 28, 30 or higher gauge wires if you're not pulling any significant current through the stick switches (for example if you're you're using relay boards or servo speed controllers). I doubt the PPT switch sees more than a couple milliamps with most radios. Of course stripping and crimping (if not soldering) the higher gauge wires can be a challenge.

Finn
Old 12-18-2020, 08:51 PM

Default Wiring bundle

So I was faced with a problem running the wires to the controller. I ended up using a thin cat5 cable with 28 awg and 8 wires. This was the smallest way I could figure to run all these wires through the harness.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 65% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com