Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:43 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
I do the same thing! I get those bottles from Harbor Freight.. I thought they were a third of the price.. I use a $11 Amazon scale. Mix the epoxy really really good, then add micro. So easy to sand. I would not use bondo if you can help it. Bondo is heavy, stinks and may shrink and crack out, leaving you to do the job twice. Once you get a few epoxy supplies, fiberglass, micro, flox.. you’ll find all kinds of uses!
While epoxy micro is a fine choice i just don’t understand all this dis-information on poly products. Weigh a gallon of evercoat rage and a gallon of epoxy plus activator. Definitely similar in weight . Millions of cars are repaired each year using poly fillers without cracking. I have used it on two RVs with NO cracking. Yes, poly can shrink a small amount, but in most cases it would require a microscope to see it when applied in realistic depth hs.

Last edited by lr172 : 11-17-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I

While epoxy micro is a fine choice i just donít understand all this dis-information on poly products. Weigh a gallon of evercoat rage and a gallon of epoxy plus activator. Definitely similar in weight . Millions of cars are repaired each year using poly fillers without cracking. I have used it on two RVs with NO cracking. Yes, poly can shrink a small amount, but in most cases it would require a microscope to see it when applied in realistic depth hs.
You canít compare a gallon of bondo to a gallon on epoxy. Mix up an ounce of epoxy, then mix in enough micro balloons to cool whip consistency.. thatís what you compare to the bondo. A gallon of epoxy would probably make 5 or 10 gallons of filler mixed with micro. The weight difference is huge! Micro doesnít weigh anything, sands super easy and doesnít shrink. Why would anybody use polyester bondo on anything except maybe a quick disposable mold is beyond me..

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 11-17-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You canít compare a gallon of bondo to a gallon on epoxy. Mix up an ounce of epoxy, then mix in enough micro balloons to cool whip consistency.. thatís what you compare to the bondo. A gallon of epoxy would probably make 5 or 10 gallons of filler mixed with micro. The weight difference is huge! Micro doesnít weigh anything, sands super easy and doesnít shrink. Why would anybody use polyester bondo on anything except maybe a quick disposable mold is beyond me..
same reason body shops use it, takes 15 min to be workable.

I use epoxy/micro (or flox) for the big fixes, then neat epoxy for pin holes; however best case is 12 hours to fully cure. I have some of the quick feather fill stuff for pin holes I find after primer.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM

I have had a very positive experience using Evercoat which I have used it for the near to final stages. Using Micro balloons is great for bigger gaps or waviness but not as easy for final stages.
Dues paid
Old 11-17-2020, 04:06 PM

Default Because it works

Quote:
We are not talking about much in the scheme of an RV. I used less than a pint of Evercoat 416 on my 7. The bulk of which was sanded off. For fine fill, sanding and time you can't beat 416. It is hard but sands easily. On my first 7, I used it and is probably knocking on 2000 hours now with no sign of cracks in any of the tail fairings where most of it was used.

Judicious use of proper materials is not a problem.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Flying, in paint
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 11-17-2020, 04:27 PM

my rule is I don't mix chemistries. if your working on an old kit that has parts made from polyester, use polyester and micro. if you have the new epoxy parts, use epoxy and micro. simple enough. I getting ready to send my RV-4 to paint, all the parts are polyester, I use polyester resin and micro.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 11-17-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort04 View Post
Iíve got 1 dent on the skin of my elevator that I would like to fill as I blend the fiberglass tip once itís installed.

Thanks for the help
Not sure I would use very much filler on a control surface to fill a dent. If you do, make sure you recheck the balance.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 11-18-2020, 06:55 AM

Default Aeropoxy Light

At an EAA fiberglass workshop, the teacher recommended Aeropoxy Light. It's made for aircraft industry and has ability to "give" so it won't crack over time. I used it in my build and was very happy with it. Plane is still newly flying, so hasn't passed the test of time yet.... but, so far so good.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...opoxylight.php
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 11-18-2020, 01:51 PM

Default Bondo should go

After using Bondo on car repairs for many a year then finding epoxy and fillers for building my airplanes I would never go back to Bondo.
You will find out for your self. The epoxy and fillers sands much easier and becomes level faster. You can make something flatterer and blend in easier with the epoxy. Oh ya they attach better and usually with no shrinkage.
Oh by the way yes mixing is a little different and harder BUT it produces a much better working product.
You will get used to it and leave the Bondo to gluing shovel handles and the such back on
Way lighter to. Art
Old 11-18-2020, 07:38 PM

I thought the OP was talking about filling a dent. To make weight a consideration doesnít seem worth the worry. The difference in weight is probably less than the weight of the bug that just impaled itself on that same part of the airplane. He didnít say he was filling 100 dents, so weight is not a player here. If you are fairing your wheel pants or making a deep contour on your windscreen, I agree, epoxy is the clear winner. But for filling a dent? A high quality polyester filler designed for this purpose has worked millions of times, with good results. They both work, so take your pick. Nothing wrong with either for dent repair.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021