Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2020, 12:15 PM

Default BasicMed unavailable, doc never heard of it

Let's skip the backstory, but when I called my family doc, she had never heard of BasicMed and the nurse protected her from hearing from me that she was qualified.

So this morning, I got a for real second class, unrestricted (20:20 at age 71, I'll take it!). The AME had heard of BasicMed, asked if it was for both 2nd and 3rd class, but didn't know what the privileges were. Hmm. I 'splained it all to him, but I'd already paid (in advance) for the 2nd class, so I went with that.

I called AOPA, and apparently my story is common. Lots of docs don't know what BasicMed is or what to do about it. There is a link on the AOPA web site, I'm told, of an explanation that you can print off and give to your doc. (I'll keep that in mind for next time). I suggested that it would be cool if AOPA undertook a program to spread the word on BasicMed rather than individuals doing it one at a time. Of course, it's always easy to tell somebody else what would be good for them to do.
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 10-30-2020, 12:21 PM

I've found that some "Doc in a box" places will do BasicMed. It's another option if your regular doc has heartburn.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
There is a link on the AOPA web site, I'm told, of an explanation that you can print off and give to your doc.
I had the same issue 3 years ago, gave the MD the stuff I printed, and he was fine with it. Later, after the whole thing was done, the medical group my doc was with put a stop on it. They said FAA exams were not allowed.

I explained this was not an FAA exam, it just conformed to FAA rules.

Nope, they still will not allow their members to do Basic Med.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-30-2020, 12:48 PM

+1 my primary doc was not interested at all. I'm assuming the concern is liability. He did give me the name of another doc that he thought did them so I'm not completely out of luck.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log
Old 10-30-2020, 01:35 PM

Find a place that does commercial driver license physicals. I was able to do so and was in and out in about 20 mins.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:09 PM

Some of this has to do with how you position it with the doctor. If you ask them to complete a physical for you that is more likely to get a positive response than bringing up a term they may not have heard of. Docs fill out various physical forms all the time.

As I've said before, being sued for making a statement about a patient's physical exam findings and confirming the lack of a specific set of conditions (spelled out very well in BasicMed documentation) is extraordinarily rare and shouldn't be a concern for any doctor who understand what's being asked of them.

Fundamentally BasicMed asks the doctor to do two things: record physical findings on a form, and certify than certain conditions are not currently present and no history of them is known to the doctor. Very simple, basic stuff that doctors do every single day routinely.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 10-30-2020, 02:26 PM

My PCP had not heard about Basic Med also but was open to learn about it. I forwarded him the links to learn about it and scheduled an exam with him. No problem and he commented it was a lot like doing a CDL exam.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 10-30-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darata View Post
Find a place that does commercial driver license physicals. I was able to do so and was in and out in about 20 mins.
Donít say Basic Med. just tell them it is a commercial license. They know that and it is the truth. Exam is very similar. My GP said just like a GI physical which appears he had done many.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 10-30-2020, 07:44 PM

When I took on a new PC I asked and got the same runaround from office staff, was told "we don't do occupational exams." So at my first appointment I explained it to him and said "I need a PC who will do this." Perhaps the implication that I would go looking elsewhere for a PC had an effect, and as someone taking on new patients perhaps he cared whether he lost a customer or not. I also dropped the name of a colleague of his who's a pilot. Anyway he agreed to do it so I guess I got lucky there.
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 10-30-2020, 07:58 PM

I asked my PCP about it - not because I wanted it, but because I was trying to feel them out for a good friend of mine that likely won't pass a 3rd and was looking for BasicMed (I have a valid 3rd and am in good health). Not only did they say no, but two weeks later I got a certified letter in the mail from my PCP saying that they would no longer provide medical services for me, but would forward my medical records to another doctor upon request.

There are obviously liability concerns among some doctors.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 10-30-2020 at 08:01 PM.