Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Of course some of this is just a need (addiction?) for another airplane project, ....

.... is there a support group for this?
No, there is no known cure!

There is a very small (in terms of active) followers on the RV-10 - Matronics forum.

Also, Tim Olson has an extensive web site, including various options, building hints, etc. He is present on Matronics and VAF. If you email him I imagine he will give you a log-in password.

I took the do-it-yourself route to wiring, and, despite the contortions under the panel (try to minimize these!), found it enjoyable. Of course, I've also had an active interest in electronics all my life. (I built my audio panel/intercom, cabin light dimmers, etc., from scratch, just because I could.). Get the right tools (wire strippers, crimpers, etc) and you too may find it an enjoyable part of the build.
You said you have decided on avionics, so I won't go into the choices there! But I would add to the other, already good suggestions: heated pitot (get one with a controller), LED lights (their time has come). Extra fuel depends on how you fly. If you want to go on trips at 175 KTAS, I'd consider adding aux fuel tanks in the wing. But if you're like me - content to fly LOP on <10 Gal/hr, at 160 KTAS, then the standard tanks are all you need.
Also, since you mentioned possibly a 'minimalist' approach: depending on your weight, weight of significant others, and how you build the airplane, you can end up with anything from a full fuel, 2 person airplane to a full fuel, 4 person airplane.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
A couple of cents worth.

The instructions need very, very careful reading. This is my 4th RV build and is so far the most challenging. Like doing a crossword puzzle - you need to get into the mind of the compiler....

Also, way to much assembling and disassembling. I can see it may be part of the 51% thing, but a lot of it could be bypassed.

Usual snafu's in the plans, biggest thing is the lack of explanation of what will happen to assemblies or parts later in the build.

Oh, and the need for some Cleaveland specialty bars, dimples and sets.

Other than that - most excellent ........

So far
I'm hoping some of these challenges are overcome by the choice of doing quickbuild wings and fuselage, but fortunately VAF is always here for the inevitable head-scratching moments.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
No, there is no known cure!

There is a very small (in terms of active) followers on the RV-10 - Matronics forum.

Also, Tim Olson has an extensive web site, including various options, building hints, etc. He is present on Matronics and VAF. If you email him I imagine he will give you a log-in password.

I took the do-it-yourself route to wiring, and, despite the contortions under the panel (try to minimize these!), found it enjoyable. Of course, I've also had an active interest in electronics all my life. (I built my audio panel/intercom, cabin light dimmers, etc., from scratch, just because I could.). Get the right tools (wire strippers, crimpers, etc) and you too may find it an enjoyable part of the build.
You said you have decided on avionics, so I won't go into the choices there! But I would add to the other, already good suggestions: heated pitot (get one with a controller), LED lights (their time has come). Extra fuel depends on how you fly. If you want to go on trips at 175 KTAS, I'd consider adding aux fuel tanks in the wing. But if you're like me - content to fly LOP on <10 Gal/hr, at 160 KTAS, then the standard tanks are all you need.
Also, since you mentioned possibly a 'minimalist' approach: depending on your weight, weight of significant others, and how you build the airplane, you can end up with anything from a full fuel, 2 person airplane to a full fuel, 4 person airplane.
Thanks Bob - I actually was in touch with Tim a few times during my -14A build and have referred to his site many times. I too have a bit of an electronics background (built some tube amps and such) and do have a good set of tools for this, but I need to learn more about wiring avionics and building harnesses, etc. I found a builder who did a fantastic job of documenting his process for designing and building his electrical system and wiring harnesses and plan to attend a training class focused on Garmin G3X wiring. I have looked at Matronics forum a couple of times, will find my way again there ASAP.

My -14A came in a bit on the porky side, some of which was from obsessive priming and such, but mostly add-ons so I'm planning (but will undoubtedly fail) to try to limit some of those, especially the cosmetic ones.

I'm generally a 3 hour leg kind of guy - I like to land every 3 hours or so to stretch legs and empty bladders so extra fuel isn't a consideration for me.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 05:46 PM

This is one of the previous threads about RV-10 modifications:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=149298
(I posted extensive lists there too)
I should mention that I'm basically 5 years into building mine
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamazio View Post
This is one of the previous threads about RV-10 modifications:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=149298
(I posted extensive lists there too)
I should mention that I'm basically 5 years into building mine
Thanks Rodrigo!

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 06:18 PM

Nothing crazy about building the -10. I would rate the build as much more work than my -6, simply because of all of the fiberglass finishing (interior and exterior) plus the complexity of today's electrical/avionics systems compared to the simplistic panel my -6 initially flew with. Being an experienced builder, I figured my QB RV-10 would be a 3 year project. But all of the details have extended the timeline substantially. When my -6 was finished, I thought it was a pretty good example by the day's standards. I think my -10 will be a pretty nice example by today's (higher) standards.

The mod's I've done included:

Matco wheels and brakes.
Machined axle extensions
Overhead console.
Faired (fiberglassed) transitions between the cabin top and fuselage.
Planearound 180* door latch with center safety latch.
Narrow Deck IO-540 with Airflow Performance FM-200 injection.

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably not fair the cabin top to the fuselage. That's a bit of weight and a lot of work and I think a neat seam there is fine. I would probably consider Vans' stock FWF kit, just because any substitution there results in the stock cables and hoses not working.

I consider the Planearound safety latch mandatory and the Matcos to be a really good idea. The rest of it is personal preference.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 08-29-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Nothing crazy about building the -10. I would rate the build as much more work than my -6, simply because of all of the fiberglass finishing (interior and exterior) plus the complexity of today's electrical/avionics systems compared to the simplistic panel my -6 initially flew with. Being an experienced builder, I figured my QB RV-10 would be a 3 year project. But all of the details have extended the timeline substantially. When my -6 was finished, I thought it was a pretty good example by the day's standards. I think my -10 will be a pretty nice example by today's (higher) standards.

The mod's I've done included:

Matco wheels and brakes.
Machined Gear leg extensions
Overhead console.
Faired (fiberglassed) transitions between the cabin top and fuselage.
Planearound 180* door latch with center safety latch.
Narrow Deck IO-540 with Airflow Performance FM-200 injection.

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably not fair the cabin top to the fuselage. That's a bit of weight and a lot of work and I think a neat seam there is fine. I would probably consider Vans' stock FWF kit, just because any substitution there results in the stock cables and hoses not working.

I consider the Planearound safety latch mandatory and the Matcos to be a really good idea. The rest of it is personal preference.
Thanks - great list. I'm a fan of Airflow Performance from the -14A (IO390 Tbolt with FM150). Is Airflow an option for standard IO-540 from Van's?

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Krea. I'm partial to doing it myself, in my garage shop at home. It would be useful to see some of the mods in progress though. Any chance you could connect me with the other builder here in Ponte Vedra?
Not in Ponte Vedra but i'm building a -10 not too far away from you...
Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 PM

Default Turner

Quote:
Link to your kitlog?

http://www.mykitlog.com/display_proj...roject_id=2056

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks - great list. I'm a fan of Airflow Performance from the -14A (IO390 Tbolt with FM150). Is Airflow an option for standard IO-540 from Van's?
Yes, I know of at least one, mine.

I ordered mine about eight years ago. Ken has simply stated, no when I asked him the question. I kept asking the question over and over until I got an answer I liked.

I was told that if there was no incremental expense for Lycoming, then they were ok with the change. I was given the Lycoming?s rep at the time. He came back with sure, no problem. This was about the time that Lycoming was starting the Thunderbolt program, but Van?s was far from participating.

After the fact, I learned some interesting things. My was the first airflow unit assembled on the plant floor. It was delayed several weeks to allow for documentation of the installation process. Nothing is done on the assembly line unless it?s fully documented. Then it failed QA due to the way the fuel spider was mounted. Another week or so delay while that was reworked.

Van?s also changed the flywheel to satisfy the Brazilians who were added AC to all their builds. Unfortunately that put the alternator belt out of alignment by about 3/8?. I worked with Plane Power and Lycoming to develop the modifications to put the belt back into alignment. To this day, I still don?t understand why Van?s won?t publicly document this issue. They will sell you the kit produced by Plane Power. They should have given them away as part of the FWF kit. I think I documented all this on mykitlog.com.

Today?s Van?s is significantly more customer focused with Mitch and Greg at the helm than during Ken?s reign,

Today, I suspect that you may be directed to buy a Thunderbolt instead of modifying the standard engine sku Van?s buys. That wasn?t an option for me.

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably purchase from an engine builder. Since Lycoming quit selling 540 kits, it puts You in into an overhauled engine out of the gate. But the plus side is that you?ll get better support, especially if you don?t have any experience with engines.