Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkuzme1 View Post
So I was in a pinch for my IFR Transponder Static Check. I needed to get it done quickly. I called Duncan Aviation at MKC and they quoted me $450. I thought that was high, but they were close so I went ahead and paid a premium.

I got a call today telling me it would be almost $1100. Said it was 10 hours of labor because there was 1) a leak in the static system, and 2) They had to calibrate my altimeter.

First of all, even if there was a leak in my static system it should have been easy to diagnose and fix. The static system goes from the transponder, is T?d off to my GRT Efis and encoder, then goes to the back of the airplane for the static port. I could replumb the entire system in 1 hour. There are only a couple of places for a failure to occur, and they are literally 8 inches apart.

So he had to calibrate my GRT Efis. Literally that is going into the menu and turning some knobs, and couldn?t have taken more than 5 minutes.

I believe that I am full on being screwed by Duncan Aviation.

Thoughts? What would you do?

Todd
Long thread and I read most of the responses.

I installed a new ADS-B out Mode S transponder and switched to my G5 for my encoder. I was quoted $400 for a full blown IFR pitot/static transponder check IAW 91.411 / 91.413 back in May 2019.

My actual bill out the door in May 2019 was $450 for everything as both G5s needed to be calibrated as a altimeter. $50 over estimate for the extra calibration work on two G5s.

I have had the full blown IFR check IAW 91.411 and 91.413 every two years going back 20-years on my RV-6. There was a new box to read the Mode S transponder and the new price was almost double what I have previously paid but I am now in a different state with a different shop doing the work.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkSP View Post
I would raise ****. I just got my RV-10 pitot static AND transponder check done at KBAK for 250 bucks. I have a 3 screen G3X, GTX-45R and everything is new. My buddy had his Cirrus done at another place, and they did the same thing to him about "we had to track down a static leak". I think lots of shops use this to pad the bill. Just my opinion.
Who did you use at BAK? It?s about the same distance from the shop I?ve been using in southern Ohio, but significantly difference. Plus BAK has a much nicer restaurant too!

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-22-2020, 09:15 PM

Default Recent Transponder, pitot static and altimeter calibration price in So CAl

Just had my RV 12 -24 month VFR transponder check completed. The price was going to be 140$. When he got there he asked if I had ADSB and when I replied yes he said it going to be $200. So I asked why and he said I check the accuracy of the position of your GPS. I did not know that was necessary and could not find any reg that says so. I periodically request a a ADSB test report from the FAA and it always passes. I have a Garmin GDL 82.

Another guy at the airport got an IFR check, pitot static, altimeter calibration and transponder check and the price was 460$ plus $125 per hour for any work if it doesn't pass.

Anybody have a guy require a GPS position check for ADSB?
LAPD helicopter pilot, retired
RV6A sold
RV12 (non-builder)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Who did you use at BAK? It?s about the same distance from the shop I?ve been using in southern Ohio, but significantly difference. Plus BAK has a much nicer restaurant too!

Thanks,
Bob
Cant remember the name of the Avionics shop, but the guy's name is Andy Zeigler, at 812-372-3790. His cell is 812-344-0468. Sometimes he's hard to get a hold of.

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-Super 8 N88XT SOLD
RV-10 QB N38LA Flying
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health Retired :-)
Although Exempt,
Donated for 2021
Old 04-22-2020, 10:08 PM

andy "at" eagleavionics "dot" net

Thumbs up.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:05 PM

Every 2 years I fly from KS down to 52F and pay Walt a visit for IFR cert. The job is done well, done right, done by a d*mn nice guy, and done at a fair price. Makes for a fun trip. Go meet DR while you're there too.

That reminds me: Walt - I need to come see you again. Hoping this virus junk gets over with soon!
Old 04-22-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabney View Post
Just had my RV 12 -24 month VFR transponder check completed. The price was going to be 140$. When he got there he asked if I had ADSB and when I replied yes he said it going to be $200. So I asked why and he said I check the accuracy of the position of your GPS. I did not know that was necessary and could not find any reg that says so. I periodically request a a ADSB test report from the FAA and it always passes. I have a Garmin GDL 82.

Another guy at the airport got an IFR check, pitot static, altimeter calibration and transponder check and the price was 460$ plus $125 per hour for any work if it doesn't pass.

Had mine done in January. Tech never looked at ADSb. Pretty sure there is no regulatory requirement for it to be checked by an authorized tech. If there is, I haven't heard about it.

I paid $250 for mine. I got taken in a similar incident a few years ago at Aurora airport. Though in my case it was only $200 over the quoted and agreed price. They threatened to seal the hanger and hold my plane captive if I didn't pay. And that was with me doing all of the work necessary to track down the static leak and doing the GRT calibration while the tech spun the dials. Needless to say, I shopped more carefully the second time around.

It is sad, but it seems this type of behavior is pretty standard in the certified world and most customers just accept it.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 04-22-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabney View Post

No. There is no difference in transponder checks (and/or altimeter for IFR) from before ADS-B and after ADS-B. The required checks are the same and do not include any ADS-B checks. Reason being the ADS-B system automatically checks your 2020 compliant equipment multiple times a second during operation so no biannual repair station inspection is necessary. If anything is awry the FAA compliance computer in Washington DC sends the owner a letter immediately. This is the same reason that anybody can install non-transponder ADS-B without a repair station license. Big Brother is monitoring ADS-B himself and a clean PAPR report is all that is necessary. Now, if somebody installs a transponder-based ADS-B system then they need a repair station to do a 91.217 check followed by a PAPR report. If the repair station has a ramp tester that can decipher ADS-B out compliance that is strictly a convenience, especially on new installations. Don't confuse ADS-B out check with Mode S/ES transponder reply check which is required. If a repair station can check ADS-B out it just allows them to put language on a 337 or log book entry that the system is compliant before the airplane flies. Otherwise it is done after the airplane flies (PAPR).

So it is strictly an initial transponder installation or repair (91.217) or the biannual transponder (91.413), encoder and altimeter correspondence check portion (91.411) that require a repair station license to signed off the inspection. No matter whether Mode A/C or Mode S/ES. And regardless if ADS-B out equipment is installed.

The answer to, "Do you have ADS-B out"? is, "It doesn't matter. I just want a 91.413 VFR transponder check."

Your fellow was either ignorant or a crook. Or both.

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 04-23-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:18 PM

Default Butler in KC area

Butler at IXD is awesome, I had mine done for a couple of hundred last year. I did stay with the plane, and they did have to do an adjustment, but it was easy and the price was very fair. The test took about 30 minutes, and all-said 2hrs for everything with all the waiting.

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay

Last edited by BruceMe : 05-10-2020 at 12:47 PM.