What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long trip planning software/website

McFly

Well Known Member
I am planning a long trip this summer (VFR) to visit friends and family with planned overnight stops in Nebraska, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama and Texas.

I like using sectionals where you can get the big picture and the details (terrain, airspace, restricted areas, ect) at the same time. I don?t want to buy the sectionals yet. They would be out of date by flight time anyway. Can someone recommend software/website for long distance planning? Any other tips welcome. Thanks.

I use SkyVector.com for prelimenary planning on the PC... it works great. I have also purchased sectionals from SkySectionals.com.

Flight planning software

I like using sectionals where you can get the big picture and the details (terrain, airspace, restricted areas, ect) at the same time. I don?t want to buy the sectionals yet. They would be out of date by flight time anyway. Can someone recommend software/website for long distance planning? Any other tips welcome. Thanks.

Check out:

http://www.seattleavionics.com/

Produced by pilots like us. There is a free trial version. I really like this software and after you plan your flight you can fly it using Google Earth. Very cool!

No relationship with the company.

DaveB
Building RV6

Tough to beat a JNCA-5 map(Sporty's has them) for the really big picture.
Airnav.com is very handy for planning fuel stops and finding less expensive fuel.

I use the Air Chart Systems Topo Atlas which is a WAC scale sectional. It only requires one book for the entire US.

I also bought an IFR Planning Chart which provides a better big picture when you travel 500 miles or more.

I recently subscribed to weathermeister.com which I am finding very useful.

I will have to look at Skyvector to see if it adds anything beyond what I already have.

AOPA may have a flight planner as well.

Last edited:
I use Golden Eagle software it works well and fetches the wx for you. It is also free. Sponsored by the FAA. Do a google on goldeneagle flightprep.

Lots of good options here! I like to use Skyvector for initial "gee, I wonder what the route looks like?" planning. Put in the departure and destination, and it draws a blue line across all the sectionals. Then go in and add fuel stops.

I then fly with Air Charts atlases...

Paul

I use AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner (RTFP), available here. (You must be an AOPA member to log on to the "real-time" features such as weather overlays, TFRs, etc.). I like the fact that you can have it plan the route along airways or direct, then you can grab the route with the mouse and drag the line wherever you want it. It will snap the line to navaids and waypoints if you wish. I have the performace data for about ten different aircraft and specific N-numbers already saved. As you drag the route line around, the program recalculates the fuel, time enroute, fuel remaining, etc. When you're done, it'll file for you, and you can print out an enroute flight log. Cool!

If I'm away from my computer or don't have my laptop with me, I use one of the other services already mentioned above. They're all good.

Multiples....

I prefer AeroPlanner.com - a version of which comes free with your EAA membership. Access it from the EAA web site.

This does the real waypoint management and winds aloft calculations, and will print out a flight log. It's good for future planning since it will store multiple routes that can be continuously recalled and modified... and did I mention it was free?....:)

I found the AOPA flight planner clumsy to use...

Airport/fuel data from AirNav and quickie look at sectionals on SkyVector.

And detailed weather information www.weathermeister.com - of course....

gil A

Back