What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Quickbuild Mistake, Vertical Stabilizer

jlfernan

Well Known Member
I went out today to start mounting the VS. I had already attached the forward attach bracket to the front spar of the HS. I drilled the two #12 holes thru the bracket in the the top deck of the fuse and thru the doublers underneath. Holes came out perfect. I started deburring the holes and thought I had a particularly stubborn burr on the right side. Much to my suprise and dismay, using my inspection mirror I see half of the shop head of what appears to be a #40 rivet! It's not in the plans, it's not thru the top deck. They put a rivet thru the two doublers underneath the top deck skin. I never noticed it till now. Again, it's not visible from the top and all the times I've looked inside this area, because there are rivets in there, I never noticed it. Now what. I'm getting ready to throw in the towel. While Vans has done some great things, I sometimes question certain methods for making things work. "Make it fit", is not always comforting. I've got the emp, wings, and almost all the fuse done to the point where you start doing the panel. Battery box, solenoids, strobe pack, fuel and brake lines all installed. I'm contemplating taking offers. It's not a show plane, but it's safe. I have aprox. $27,000 invested. Any reasonable offers will be considered. PM me if you are interested.
[/IMG]
picture006rs0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
picture008yx6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hold On

My friend, I am not (yet) an RV builder, though I've tackled many difficult projects in my life. I surely do recognize the place of frustration that you express here.

I have no expertise to offer solutions to what you've encountered, but I'd like to offer a bit of encouragement. Maybe this problem will sort itself out with a few more days of study and reflection. It sounds like it would be a real pity to put your project up for sale at this point.

Again, these are just a few words of encouragement from someone who greatly admires the builders in this great RV community.

David Wright

Jorge,

Don't quit now! I found exactly the same situation in my 9A. I suspect in an ideal world, that hole would have gone directly through the rivet, so that it was replaced with a bolt. I just filed down the remaining part of the rivet (as best one can do given the location) and put in the bolt.

I agree that it can be very frustrating building when it is unclear why some things are done the way they are. Think of it this way - on your next build you will be so much further ahead by knowing how these things go together.

Hang in there and get it flying.

greg

Jorge,

I just went out and checked my 9A QB and yes, you are correct, that rivet you drilled through is NOT on other (at least my) fuselage. At this point I think you just need to remove the remaining portion of the errant rivet shop head so the washer and nut will seat down properly and continue on. I think every QB builder has experienced problems with quality and things not being quite right, I sure have, but they are all surmountable. If your intention was to build a perfect airplane I'm surprised you made it this far. Really, this is not a show-stopper situation, take a few days off and think about your situation.

Thanks for the words guys. I have given it a lot of thought. This is just the straw... I've gotten to a point where I just don't enjoy it any more. It's just that what is still left to do, seems overwhelming. I love the RV community, but I would rather fly than build. Once I sell my 9A, I'll be looking for one that's already flying and then I can get my flying and maintaining fix at the same time. It's hard to part with something I've put so much time, effort and thought into, but I need get into the air and out of the garage. The project is now in the classified section. I hope someone will take all the work I've done and get her in the air.

Take five...

... or however many days it takes to get beyond the frustration. Take a vacation from building, maybe go flying. I had to do it a few times. When you return to the project, set small goals such as "fitting the canopy frame" or "fit one wheel pant" or whatever, and pat yourself on the back each time you finish a task.

I didn't enjoy the building either, but love flying my own RV.
Hang in there. You'll be very glad you did.

Mark
p.s. I also drilled half-way through one of those same rivets.

welcome to the club. I started my project last year and I'm to the point of putting on the engine, this is a slow build. I've recently got the, I don't want to do, feeling as well, very tough. My suggestion, find a person in your area that is willing to build on your airplane with you. Or just sell it and buy a completed airplane, either way, you will need to do what you feel is best. I am getting more excited because I know that my airplane will be what I want, it will have what I want in it, and best of all, nobody is going to dictate how and when it will fly. In other words, I have the repairmans certificate and I alone will qualify it to fly, way cool(after the FAA gives its blessing). Freedom. In this period of time, priceless.

Jorge-
You have plenty of room to add one or more additional bolts. I suspect this is exactly what Van's will tell you to do. I don't think this will be any big deal. Sorry about your frustration, though. Van's instructions have led most of us astray more than once!
Good luck.

P.S. I also can empathize with where you are at in your kit. Building the airframe was quite straightforward, but the wiring and FWF is really intimidating. Some days I just go out and look at the daunting task and end up doing not much of anything. On the other hand, now that I'm starting to understand some of the basics a little better, I think the rest is going to go pretty fast. From where you are at, flying in a year is probably doable. You'll save a lot of money, but probably not a whole lot of time, by selling your kit and buying someone's finished plane. I know that you need to make the decision that's best for you, but just thought I'd encourage you to keep plugging away. Again, good luck.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of things going on right now and unfortunately the RV is becoming less of a priority. I'm more frustrated with a lack of progress and guilt for not working on it. And I'll be honest, some days I doubt my abilities. Getting a little burnt about stressing over things such as this problem. I decided before I get any deeper(not that I'm not approaching the deep end of the pool already) I need to let it go. Maybe in the future after things have settled down for me, I'll start again or I'll find a decent 7A or 9A for sale. Who knows?

Have you considered trading your project with someone with a flying 9? Lot's of diehard builders here!

I'm hoping to hear from one. I have no problem trading. If you know of anyone interested, let them know.

Hi there.

I have had those exact feelings in the past. Things do not go right, it happens to all builders. Even the ones who have done it before. My RV was for sale two years ago after an incident i had as well. Little setbacks like you have had were plagueing me throughout the build. The end well it is still not insight. Blah Blah Blah. Then an exciting day for me turned bad. I was getting ready for my pre cover inspection, carrying the empennage pieces out of the house. The last piece I was carrying, the right elevator, got the flight test before ever being attached to the plane. I tripped and fell with the elevator in my hand. It put a nice little dent in it. Instead of keeping cool all angers exitted me, and well, the elevator did fly. LOL. I built a new one. Also had trouble with the trailing edge of the rudder earlier. That was built twice as well. i should have just ordered two empennage kits. I lost total interest in the kit somehow, the project sat for a year.

Anyways now I am back into it and hope too have it flying this summer. Yeeha. I probably will encounter another snag that will make me revise that to next winter. I have learnt too expect them.

Just a point to ponder. Has any one ever really looked at a brand CERTIFIED aircraft really close? It is very easy to notice flaws in any aircraft after gaining knowledge building them. Not one aircraft is built perfect.

Jarvis siegel

Come to think about it, I had the exact same thing happen to me last winter when I was drilling my attach bolts. Mine was a little closer to concentric, so there was just a small shop head remaining on the backside. I reasoned that since the bolts were mostly in tension, this slight hole deformity was inconsequential. Seems like there is room for a #4 bolt too.

I know from experience that Van will just laugh at this and tell you to BUILD ON.

Let's Not Be Hasty!

Nothing worth while ever comes easy, my Friend! It is because of the difficulties we overcome that we achieve a sense of accomplishment.

I would suggest that you set aside all work on the plane for three or four weeks, go find someone in your area with an RV-9, buy him some fuel and go fly! Seek to remember why it is you're doing this.

In this day of "have it now, at any cost", few people develop character traits such as discipline, commitment, and dedication or even realize emotions like pride or triumph over adversity. Homebuilders are a rare breed who do more than just build airplanes. They are individuals who are envied and lauded as examples to be emulated by those who merely wish to achieve greater things! No one wants to see you fail, least of all you, I would think. Please don't give-up on your dream. Many before you have succeeded and so can you.

One day you'll radiate enthusiasm as you relate stories of how you overcame great obstacles and frustrations to build your own airplane!

Build-on!

I do not care what people say about there planes. Show plane or not there is always going to be something that is less than perfect. No such thing as perfect. No way no how. Even if you look carefully at what has been judged a show plane, something will be not as planed.
I am a construction contractor by triad and I strive for perfection. I would drive myself nuts if and everyone that works for me if I did expected nothing but.
An airplane is a much different animal. Perfection in structural integerty is very importaint. In your case you are going to be putting a bolt in there anyway and it will be stronger than the rivet you are drilling out.

The real problem here is you are getting burned out. little things are feeling like big things. Big things are overwhelming. Happens to all of us.
You have to look at the big pitcher. If you sell now after all that work how are you going to feel. A lot of folks will take a break for a month or a year and start to work on it again. My flight instructor has been building his RV6 for 5 years now. He gets tied up at work and home life and that starts to take priority over the plane and i have heard him mention that he would rather sell it than finish it. But.... a month or so goes by and he is back to working on it.

Stop building right now. Plan a trip down to sun and fun or the Seibring show and I guarantee that there will be a renewed desire to work on it again.
Also when you finish it and it is flying you will experience an inner joy and self respect that can not be described.

Take a break and relax. When you do get back to your project grind down that shop head and ignore it. A year after your plane is built this will all be history and you will be flying around in a plane that YOU BUILT, not someone else. The feeling that you will experience over and over again while flying YOUR PLANE will be something that you will never get in another plane. The feeling is one of very deep satisfaction and well worth all the effort and frustration that goes with the building. IT IS REALLY WORTH IT! Even after several hundred hours of flying it a silly little grin will come across you face and only you will know the meaning of it.

Instant Gratification.

Nothing worth while ever comes easy, my Friend! It is because of the difficulties we overcome that we achieve a sense of accomplishment.

I would suggest that you set aside all work on the plane for three or four weeks, go find someone in your area with an RV-9, buy him some fuel and go fly! Seek to remember why it is you're doing this.

In this day of "have it now, at any cost", few people develop character traits such as discipline, commitment, and dedication or even realize emotions like pride or triumph over adversity. Homebuilders are a rare breed who do more than just build airplanes. They are individuals who are envied and lauded as examples to be emulated by those who merely wish to achieve greater things! No one wants to see you fail, least of all you, I would think. Please don't give-up on your dream. Many before you have succeeded and so can you.

One day you'll radiate enthusiasm as you relate stories of how you overcame great obstacles and frustrations to build your own airplane!

Build-on!

Fred has it right. I grew up in an era where "instant gratification" was not quite as possible as it seems to be nowdays. Step back a while and contemplate the gratifying feeling of accomplishment you'll have after your first flight in something you built. No other feeling like it man. You'll never be totally satisfied with a plane you purchased after you've come this far as a builder.

Take a break, get over it. If you just spend one hour a day doing something it's amazing how fast it will go together. Nothing is perfect, just do the best you can. Your EAA Tech Counselor will tell you if it's up to speed.

Guys I really appreciate your comments and this why I do truly love this community, you won't allow people to give up. Unfortunately my girlfriend and I have spoken to length about it and I've come to realize I'm not enjoying myself anymore. I may change my mind in the future, but for now, it has to go.:(

HI Guy: If you think it is frustrating building a 9A try building a RV3 absolutely no support from Vans. Just the worn out "Make it fit" The builders manual is worthless. Rember just beat it to fit, paint to match and go fly.. Take a day off and press on.. Good luck.. RB

Back