What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Several EIS wiring questions

szicree

Well Known Member
I've returned to wiring after a long absence and have a few questions. Feel free to chime in on any and/or all.

1. I'm running LSE/mag and am planning on using the mag for my tach input to the EIS. I want to make sure I have the mag wiring figured. I use a shielded wire. At the mag, I connect the center conductor to the P-lead terminal and the shield to the mag's ground terminal. The other end of the conductor goes to the center of my mag switch and the shield goes to the off-position terminal. The on-position terminal of the switch then goes through a resistor and then to the EIS. How close am I here?

2. I'm using Van's fuel senders and am trying to figure the wiring. I had already run the wires from the EIS to the tanks many months ago, but today noticed that there is supposed to be a 4.8v power source tapped into these wires. I'm thinking some small power strip might be nice for this (fuel pressure needs a resistor also). How have others done it and am I on the right track?

Boy, I really used to laugh at those who said 90% done -- 90% to go. I figured, how hard can it be to bolt on an engine, some exhaust pipes and a couple of wires? Guess who's not laughing now.

That sounds right, Steve. I just checked my electrical drawings and somehow neglected to show where the shield that is attached to the mag ground is attached on the other end. I'm flying tomorrow, so will pull the ignition switch and double check to let you know.

Can't help on the second item, I used Van's standard gauges separate from the EIS(the gauges are only there to be "legal").

If you haven't done the baffles yet, well... my condolences.

I've returned to wiring after a long absence and have a few questions. Feel free to chime in on any and/or all.

2. I'm using Van's fuel senders and am trying to figure the wiring. I had already run the wires from the EIS to the tanks many months ago, but today noticed that there is supposed to be a 4.8v power source tapped into these wires. I'm thinking some small power strip might be nice for this (fuel pressure needs a resistor also). How have others done it and am I on the right track?

If you are up for making electrical components fit in tight spaces; I simply packaged the pull up resistors within the connector shell on the EIS. Solder or crimp to the pin providing power on one end, then around to the pin for the signal. All within the main connector shell.

mag shield

I think you only ground one end of the p lead shield at the mag to kill the noise the end at the switch doesn't touch anything.. same on the strobe shield wires...

Danny

If you are up for making electrical components fit in tight spaces; I simply packaged the pull up resistors within the connector shell on the EIS. Solder or crimp to the pin providing power on one end, then around to the pin for the signal. All within the main connector shell.

I'm up for working in those tiny spaces, but how do I connect three resistors (fuel senders and fuel pressure) to that one tiny pin? Details would be super helpful. Thanks.

If GRT EIS then 4.8 No Problem

If your EIS is the GRT, the 4.8V is supplied by the EIS at certain points and there may be resistors in your kit. Their diagram for the connector layout shows it and there are instructions for the Van's senders, too.

I'm up for working in those tiny spaces, but how do I connect three resistors (fuel senders and fuel pressure) to that one tiny pin? Details would be super helpful. Thanks.

Yeah, you might not be able to get it all into one package, but if you get creative you can. Maybe don't think of it all attached directly to that pin, but as a chain of stuff attached to it. You can also use the metal wire coming off of the resistors as a little micro tiny solder buss along its length. All normal solder joint in high vibration considerations apply. It can be fun, but challenging, to get things packaged down small. The other side of that coin, is that it becomes much harder to adjust, fix, or modify individual components when you've stuck them into a little tiny space. Just things to consider. I wonder if that is why GRT still uses those big goofy "hobby boxes" for their components.

Back