What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS LSE RPM PITA!!

szicree

Well Known Member
I've looked through the old threads and am hoping for some updated advice on how to get my LSE crank-triggered system to get tach info to my GRT EIS. The install manual for the LSE shows a wire from the unit's input connector labeled as "signal to elect. tach". I'm hoping that this thing gets data straight from the crank, which would mean that my EIS would give good tach info during mag drop tests. True??

One approach

I don't know anything about the ignition your are using, but for two mags on the GRT I installed, per their specs, a switch so that the mag drop test can be peformed by switching the input as well as the mag being used. It works fine, requires the resistors they include in the kit.

I had a problem with feeding tach info from my Pmag to the EIS; on my first engine run the tach was dead. It seemed a easy enough connection, "tach output" wire from the Pmag to the "tach input" on the EIS box, but the problem was that an simple internal mod was needed to the EIS. Open it up, clip out a capacitor and a resistor, close it up and all is well. I wonder if this might be needed for an LSE system as well? Walter Tondu came to the rescue with a drawing on what parts to clip, but I've lost the drawing (computer crash). I'll betcha that GRT would have it.

Various EISs have different input circuits. Some have a pull-up input and look for a low pulse; others require a positive voltage source. Check with Klaus and he can show you the recommended configuration. The latest Plasma has opto outputs that can be configured for many applications.

Steve, do you have one EI/one mag or dual EI? If one EI/one mag, picking the signal up off of the mag is easier. During runup, there is no appreciable drop in rpm when switching form both to EI only. But there is a drop when switching to just the mag. And in cruise, if you lose the EI, you will definitely feel the difference when running on one mag. If the mag were to stop functioning, you would lose rpm signal and get an alarm.

If dual EI, have Sandy at GRT email you a photo of the components that need to be clipped(not sure if I still have a copy or not, will email it if so).

If you have one mag/one EI, then you can add Van's tach drive transducer that fits on the tach drive of the engine. It's super simple to wire into the EIS/GRT system. One line to ground, one to power and the other to the EIS input. With this method, it doesn't matter ... you get the tach reading when you switch to either ignition. And the EIS accepts the input with no problems. Just set the pulses (I think it's four... I can check later if you need me to).

If you have one mag/one EI, then you can add Van's tach drive transducer that fits on the tach drive of the engine. It's super simple to wire into the EIS/GRT system. One line to ground, one to power and the other to the EIS input. With this method, it doesn't matter ... you get the tach reading when you switch to either ignition. And the EIS accepts the input with no problems. Just set the pulses (I think it's four... I can check later if you need me to).

More money (of course), but I think I like this option the best.

Here is the mod you need to do to the EIS. Very simple. Took me 5 min.
Although this says it's for LASAR it is also for the GRT EIS. The drawing is directly from GRT.

lasartachmod2pv0.jpg

Scott, what particular Vans transducer part number is required to send a signal from the Tach drive of an IO360 to the EIS/GRT.

Back