What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prime the power coated rudder hinges?

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Is this just crazy talk or not a bad idea? If I did decide to prime could I just scuff with scotch Brite then hit with a coat of SEM rattle can? I was not planning on doing it but saw a builders site where he did.....hmmmm.

Is this just crazy talk or not a bad idea? If I did decide to prime could I just scuff with scotch Brite then hit with a coat of SEM rattle can? I was not planning on doing it but saw a builders site where he did.....hmmmm.

Not bad idea at all Rob. Prime and paint them with a quality coating. That's how my brackets looked like at 5th condition inspection.

Last edited:
Somewhere here there is a thread of me pondering the same question.

Vlad kindly responded with some pictures that helped in my decision making.

I agree that the powder coating is meant as a final coat, but I can't see a scrub with Scotchbrite and an additional light coating being a bad thing... It's not like you will even come close to removing the powder coating.

Can you PM the builder site?

In my case, I'm the second owner of these brackets and I'm not putting them on my plane with all the scuffs and scratches on the powder coat.

I think the most important is to thouroughly inspect the powder coating. Many of the weldements has poor coating, cracks flaking etc. Covering that up with primer won't do any good. Options are strip and re apply powder coat or strip prime and topcoat with suitable products. Enamel for auto works well. I have poor result with any water based product.

Last edited:
Most of my small parts were very poorly powder coated and I wish I had removed the coating and either painted them or had them re powder coated. I recently had to scotch bright several hinge brackets to take care of rust after just 3 years. The powder coat just continues to flake off..... OTOH the engine and gear leg mounts are still looking good.

I primed over powder coat where I wanted a different color, like my canopy frame. Scuff well.
However, as noted, if the powder coating was not done well, it will still flake off like Vlad's brackets.
Van's vendors powder coating have been hit and miss over the years.

Being in the railing business and dealing with both wet paint and powder coat for the last 12 years, I have lost a lot of faith in powder coating. The wet paint almost always outlast the powder. The bond just don't seem to be as good leading to chipping and also a place for corrosion between the powdercoat and substrate. The nice thick look of powder coat sure does look good though.

Back