What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Stop Bracket?

D&M Dan

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted the autopilot stop bracket that came with the rear servo (aileron)? I looks pretty generic and no matter what position we place it in, it does not come close to actually stopping anything.
We can't seem to find any instruction specific to the 12 model.

I did not. They are not specified in the RV-12 plans - that's the overriding consideration. I could find no pictures of them being installed on anyone's plane.

The autopilot stop bracket is a backup safety device to make sure that the servo arm can never go over-center. In actual installation and use the servo arm should not touch the bracket. The aircraft control surface stops are the primary limits.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

I was just watching the really neat new dynon skyview videos in youtube, one of them being about fitting the servo stop bracket. If the primary control surfaces are preventing the servo getting anywhere near to an over centre condition, i cant envisage a situation when the servo ever would, unless a control rod has come adrift, in which case the servo over centering is the least of my worries. Or am i missing something here?

Garmin GSA 28 servos

Does anyone know if there is a kit for installing Garmin GSA 28 servos in the brackets that were for the Dynon Servos

Joe Dallas

I was just watching the really neat new dynon skyview videos in youtube, one of them being about fitting the servo stop bracket. If the primary control surfaces are preventing the servo getting anywhere near to an over centre condition, i cant envisage a situation when the servo ever would, unless a control rod has come adrift, in which case the servo over centering is the least of my worries. Or am i missing something here?

Yes you are.
Loss of a control rod does not not mean loss of control. You have 2 ailerons; and the elevator can be controlled with the pitch trim. But if something is jamed over center at one end of the range of motion, only a parachutte will save you.

Yes you are.
Loss of a control rod does not not mean loss of control. You have 2 ailerons; and the elevator can be controlled with the pitch trim. But if something is jamed over center at one end of the range of motion, only a parachutte will save you.

True, but with the RV-12 control system it is impossible for an over center situation on the autopilot servos to occur.

is there a Garmin servo kit
I can't find it on van's site

Joe Dallas

Joe...what you need is plans section 44B-1 thru 44B-06. You need part F-00072 to know where to modify existing brackets (grind off in an arc)....easy to do.

The pitch servo rod is different....Dynon is 6-1/4", Garmin is 6-3/16"

There is a wiring change....2 new wires are run from avionics bay to pitch servo plug to replace 2 that get taped off. Hope this helps.

Edit...I got mine from Vans when I ordered my G3X package...give them a call.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks

I will call Monday

Joe D

Joe...what you need is plans section 44B-1 thru 44B-06. You need part F-00072 to know where to modify existing brackets (grind off in an arc)....easy to do.

The pitch servo rod is different....Dynon is 6-1/4", Garmin is 6-3/16"

There is a wiring change....2 new wires are run from avionics bay to pitch servo plug to replace 2 that get taped off. Hope this helps.

drawings 44B-1 thru 06

I looked on vans web site for drawings 44B-1 thru 06. and could not find them.

Does any have a link to these drawings

Thanks

Joe Dallas

True, but with the RV-12 control system "That has been built correctly"it is impossible for an over center situation on the autopilot servos to occur.

I am updating this post based on new info...

Apparently at least one builder has made, and then installed a servo pushrod of an incorrect length and then complained of a problem with the control system not working properly.

It is difficult to understand how this could occur since the PAP has a complete control system check procedure, along with an autopilot calibration procedure that requires that the control stick be moved to all extremes of control travel....:rolleyes:

Back